Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 AM

Default NL25 - Line check, 88 vs bad LAG

Hey,
It's about time to get serious after 3 years of break even poker ranging from NL10 to NL10k (not kidding), so here goes my first ever hand posting.
MP is about 35/30/5 and raises rubbish constantly. I later picked him off in a 4bi pot, but I still want to know if you would have played this hand differently than me and if so why.

I think it's very standard not to reraise preflop, but when I had done so vs this guy in the past he had been very willing to call me down, so 88 might be enough to do it here?
On the flop I didn't raise because I wanted him to continue bluffing, but my hand might have been too weak for that in this spot? I think I give free-cards too much vs this type of opponent in my attempts to make them bluff into me.
Finally, since I am almost 100% sure that he has air when he checks the turn I didn't find any reason to value bet the river, but maybe I should have?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $25.90
BB: $12.20
UTG: $47.90
MP: $24.55
CO: $3.85
Hero (BTN): $42.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $0.85</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $0.85, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.05) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $1.75</font>, Hero calls $1.75

Turn: ($5.55) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($5.55) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, Hero checks

Pot Size: $5.55 ($0.25 Rake)
Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: NL25 - Line check, 88 vs bad LAG

Awfully passive...
I would raise this one PF, but thats just me, I think calling is ok, but as I said I prefer 3b.
Flop, absolutely raise. You should be glad he didnt double barrel with that ace hitting there, I would make it something around 5.5-6 on the flop.
Turn, I think checking is ok, ace is a bad card and lets just check.
River, I would bet, since his check check suggests he has not much at all, maybe theres a little of value here. But checking again is ok.

IMO the biggest mistake is not raising the flop. You have got to raise that flop.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Definitely 3bet pf. You'll have position in a raised pot and you're definitely ahead of villain's range. You also need to raise flop since there are quite a few scare cards that can come and since he's so aggressive he will most likely put you to the test if one of them does (you're lucky he didn't bet turn).
Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 PM

Raise the flop for sure, consider a thin value bet if he checks through again on river.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM

I'd value bet the river for like half pot (~3) and 3bet for sure pf with that read.
The flop call is ok imo if he could double barrel air. If not you could raise the flop there are really many scare cards for you in his range but calling is ok too imo with you read and position.