Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: I never check

I do check, and I actually did here, but I am always on the lookout for bluffing opportunities with made hands, bc I have the tendency to want to sd any made hand when the board comes bad and am not paying enough attention to my options vs my opponents range.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 AM

Bluffing with a made hand is a fun, sexy play and there are good spots for it (this hand NOT being such an example). That said, such opportunities don't arise very often and the EV of them is usually not very high because (1) the bluff is based on being able to fold enough hands in the opponent's range, but often he has a stronger hand that will make a good calldown and (2) sometimes he has a weak hand but shows it down anyway because people do that a lot.

So if you never turned a made hand into a bluff in LHE, you can still do very well.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Mitch,
if you never check, then nobody will ever fold top pair on the river in a decent-sized pot to you. Furthermore they'll be content c/c'ing some random 2pair hand. If you had a nittier image I'd like this bet.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mitch,
if you never check, then nobody will ever fold top pair on the river in a decent-sized pot to you. Furthermore they'll be content c/c'ing some random 2pair hand. If you had a nittier image I'd like this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the converse of this is also true.

This guy gives me more credit for a hand than I deserve alot of the time and even if he didnt I still think he has a tough decision after I raise pf, 3bet flop and barrel through. I dont certainly dont mind him calling w/ a chopping hand and I dont see him cr flop w/ midpair on A high board so I think small 2pr is unlikely. Im pretty sure that his range is most heavily weighted towards suited Arag type hands w/ an A8o, or A9o sprinkled in. I just dont see how betting this river can hurt me, but I can clearly see how it helps me.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 PM

I think its a definate check, you cannot simply bet on the hope of getting a chop to fold. The rare times that you actually do succeed in this play, will far from make up for the times you get raised or at the bare minimum called with a worse hand. check is obvious.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its a definate check, you cannot simply bet on the hope of getting a chop to fold. The rare times that you actually do succeed in this play, will far from make up for the times you get raised or at the bare minimum called with a worse hand. check is obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does he have a Q here? I like a 1bb investment on a super scary board that I have played like a big Ace more than checking behind on the off chance that he crd the flop with K-broadway card. Also, who cares if I get crd? I am risking 1bb to win a pot that I am not entitled to, and have an easy fold to a cr.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat loose 2p2er, I'd just check. I mean you're basically praying he coldcalled with K9

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i'm hoping he folds an ace that chops.

[/ QUOTE ]

i should also mention that i think 3betting the flop is really bad.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Yeah flop 3 is not so good. I thought he could be playing a fd this way even with bb in but I think the flop spew makes this river play better.