Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Default PLO8 $100 - AAK4 with top set on a low board - deep

Effective stacks are about $200, villain is hyper-aggressiv, ultra-tricky and will not hesitate to pot any scare card.

I'm on BB, A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], villain is button

PLO8 $100 six-max

All fold to villain, who pots $3.50, SB calls $3.50, I repot to $15, both call...

Board A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop: SB checks, hero pots for $43.50, villain on button calls for $43.50, SB folds.

Turn is 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

With about $150 left, what is my move here?

Note, I have very little fold equity if I choose to pot it and it's likely villain is free-rolling me here.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: PLO8 $100 - AAK4 with top set on a low board - deep

I would bet smaller on the river, the turn is huge in determining how much money you want to put in. I would check the turn.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet smaller on the river,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean betting small on the flop?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 AM

hah, sorry, yeah. The problem I think is you are probably not going to fold out both people on the flop, and the only good turns for you pair the board (other cards put up a low, or possible nut straight). So I don't think you should put in as much until you see what the turn is. Also betting smaller can suck both opponents in.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:32 AM

Extremely valuable PLO8 tip, thank you neverforgetlol.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:09 AM

I would check the flop. If he bets flop I happily CRAI. If flop is checked through, I would check the turn.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:43 AM

After reraising preflop, you have to bet this flop. You have the best high hand at the moment and there is still no low. You have to protect your hand in a big pot. It would be a totally different situation if the pot is smaller and/or a low is possible.

The turn card does not complete any straight draw and you can get almost all of your remaining money in the pot with one bet. Easy decision to bet especially since you need only an equity of 32% if you get a call.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 AM

villain is hyper-aggressiv, ultra-tricky

Pre-pre-flop, I suggest finding more agreeable villains [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. On Stars at least most of the PLO8 $100 players aren't this tough.

Against a hyperaggressive villain I would try to checkraise the flop.

I think I check/call the turn, planning to fold the river if a 5 or 6 falls and otherwise call the river as well. Do you have any idea of villain's range for a preflop button raise? Large, I guess? - or can we assume he would usually have an ace here?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Arguably you played it correctly to the turn, and I pot the turn for sure. Even against the worst hand imaginable 2,3,5,6, you have 30% equity and the pot alone justifies a call there if villian bets. I think you actually DO have some fold equity, and not only do I think you are probably far better off than 30% equity, but also you have to consider both the fact villian's fold equity on you if you check and the board does not pair, as well as the meta-game implications of backing off here.

A decent argument could be made to check the flop, with the intention of checkraising to any bet. Checking the flop with the intention of checkraising effectively avoids a tough turn decision because either the pot will be small and easy to get away from if a scare card comes, or the pot will be enough bigger to where you are pot-committed no matter what the turn is.