Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: New Tracking Software: Poker Maven

I got pokermaven installed but when i try to import hand histories i get an error say unable to connect to database.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 PM

before anybody ask i have no idea if my comp has express sql installed but honestly i just assumed that pokermaven had it built in
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Faster database engine. SQL Server 2005 Express instead of Microsoft Access. Provides better all-around performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect (and please correct me if I'm misinformed), SQL Server 2005 Express has the following limitations with regards to scalability and performance:

- Supports only 1 CPU (does not support both cores on multi-core or duo CPUs)
- Limited to 1 gig RAM
- 4 gig max db

What are your plans for power users/data miners/owners of huge databases running on powerful machines? Not busting chops, but I'd like to know what your plans are for "power users".
Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your plans for power users/data miners/owners of huge databases running on powerful machines?

[/ QUOTE ]

SQL Server 2005 Express does indeed have the limitations you listed. For an application like Poker Maven those limitations should be acceptable. 4 GB is a gigantic database size. If you can collect that many hand histories, and want to actually keep them around for that long, I applaud you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for the RAM and CPU usage, this type of application is not one that gobbles system resources. Imports happen at a minimum of 1 minute apart and the HUD is only updated when a new hand history is detected. 1 GB of RAM and 1 CPU should suit the relatively minor performance requirements of this application. Performance only really comes into play when executing reports. Report execution could benefit from multiple CPUs, but disk I/O is probably still the limiting factor. I have not done much performance testing to this point because I'm working on the actual features of the application but it is something I have in mind.

Additionally, SQL Server 2005 Express has no limit on the number of databases you may create. If you do indeed run up against the 4 GB limit, you can simply prune the database (remove data), shrink the database or start a new database.

I am definitely interested in implementing support for other database providers. However, it will effectively double my workload. I would have to maintain two database schemas that do not share some things in common, implement two sets of stored procedures (PostgreSQL does not have a lot of the new stuff like CTEs in SQL Server) and maintain two sets of documentation.

The power that T-SQL gives me for the report queries and good integration with .NET 2.0 are the big reasons I chose SQL Server 2005.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 PM

I've released version 1.0.2 which I hope will fix the hanging problems some folks were noticing. You can download it from the Downloads page.

<font color="red">You must first manually remove 0.9.1 with Add/Remove Programs!</font> This is because of a bug with Microsoft's installer technology not recognizing previously installed versions beginning with 0. For future released you should not have to uninstall manually first.

I should also mention that, when uninstalling, you should choose to leave your databases and configuration files in place. For future uninstallers I will leave the check boxes you will see when uninstalling unchecked by default.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
before anybody ask i have no idea if my comp has express sql installed but honestly i just assumed that pokermaven had it built in

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do have SQL Server 2005 Express installed it should appear in Add/Remove Programs. It seems that Poker Maven was able to successfully connect to your database because you got to the Import tab in the first place. Check the Poker Analytics event log to see if there are any error messages and if so, paste them in here.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:09 AM

HI, any posibility of a spanish version??, If you think it well, it would be first one of the softwares of poker in this language, the community of speech Hispanic grows day after day

congrats
Old 09-13-2007, 02:54 AM

Telescope, spadeeye not a support SQL Server 2005. May be you made this is utils in your software?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do have SQL Server 2005 Express installed it should appear in Add/Remove Programs. It seems that Poker Maven was able to successfully connect to your database because you got to the Import tab in the first place. Check the Poker Analytics event log to see if there are any error messages and if so, paste them in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have sql server 2005 but it doesn't say express so i'm not sure if it is right or not. Could you please give me a link to dl the express version?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 AM

9/13/2007 - 5:36:23 - 17 hand history files found
9/13/2007 - 5:36:23 - Importing 17 Full Tilt Poker hand history files...
9/13/2007 - 5:36:24 - Error: Could not connect to database. Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=PokerMaven;User ID=pokerMavenWriter;Password=pokerMaven;
9/13/2007 - 5:36:24 - Import canceled