Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Your most memorable Birthday

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My brother turned 18 the day after 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your brother shares a birthday with my wife.

9/11 - we get bombed
9/12 - happy (?) birthday
9/13 - our cat gets run over by a truck and dies

Worst birthday ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife was a teacher in a middle school on 9/11. One of the kids in class wasn't taking it very well at all and she asked her why. The girl said it was her birthday and she knew that her birthday would be remembered for the attack from that day forward.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Don't remember how old, but I had a pirate party as a kid that was awesome.

My mom buried some coins in the sandbox in the back yard and each guest got one chance to dig for treasure. We made pirate costumes and used a burnt cork to draw on some awesome pirate facial hair. She made a "plank" in the basement (elevated board) with a bucket of water at the end that you had to cross and jump over blindfolded (while blindfolded, the bucket was moved so you didn't get wet.) The cake had coins in the cake mix (she wrapped coins in foil and mixed them in before baking.) It was awesome.

My, soon to be, 5-year old son said that he wants to have a pirate birthday party this year and I can't wait to pull of a better party than my mom [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It will surely involve a treasure map with a buried treasure in the empty lot a few doors down.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:15 PM

having a disaster happen on your b-day really does suck. Jimmy's is April 19, the same day as the Oklahoma City bombing, one day before Colombine, I think some other stuff that he knows about. It used to bother him I think- still might.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM

I turned 30 last December. My girlfriend and I have birthdays two days apart, and had gone to stay at a bed and breakfast the previous year down in Chatham (Cape Cod). Winter on the Cape is very peaceful, so it was a nice relaxing weekend and we decided to do it again.

We checked into our B&B friday night and headed out for a nice dinner. We chilled and drank a bottle of wine afterwards and had a nice quiet night in our room. Saturday (the day of my birthday) we had breakfast, went out and cruised around town, grabbed lunch, took a walk on the beach, and generally just checked stuff out. Around mid-afternoon we went back to our room and watched Wordplay and had a couple beers. Afterwards we busted out the local paper and fumbled our way through the entire crossword puzzle together; we considered this a massive accomplishment.

We got ready to go out for my "big birthday dinner" which was to consist of appetizers and drinks at a bar we like down there, dinner at the yet-to-be disclosed restaurant, then dessert somewhere else. We took a taxi to the first bar and walked in. I tried to grab 2 empty seats at the bar, but she was insistent on going to the back room. I argued to no avail as I followed her back there, and then I saw a room full of about 30 of my closest friends and family. This was only the second time in my life I was truly surprised, and I was speechless. It never crossed my mind she would have a surprise party for me down there because it was at least an hour and half for everybody, two and a half for some. She asked me if I was mad but I couldn't have been happier.

We had an unbelievable night of debauchery, including playing many boisterous games of LCR, feasting on an entire box of chocolate-covered shots, whooping up on the locals on the pool table (as well as harassing them in general - the back room was ours, damnit), dancing, and of course many, many shots for the birthday boy. I tackle-hugged every attendee at least twice and couldn't stop telling people I loved them all. I estimate my blackout to have begun around 10:30, but I hear we didn't get back to the room until 2:00. I know this because when we finished breakfast the following morning, the B&B owner informed us that our neighbors complained about us starting a fight in the parking lot and then banging around and screaming in the room at 2am. I later found out this was just me not wanting to go to bed because I did not want the night to end. I think I broke both glasses in the bathroom too. She apparently refunded them their money, and hinted that we should pay. I was hungover/still drunk and belligerent and told her she was [censored] crazy. A slight argument ensued and we were informed we are not bed and breakfast people (we suspected this already), we were no longer welcome, and she was going to spread the word. Oh well - that makes two towns I have been kicked out of. I left $20 in the room to cover the glasses I broke.

I also found out that, in a different B&B, a buddy of mine filled the whole place with smoke because he drunkenly lit a late-night fire in the fireplace without opening the flue then passed out, and my sister overflowed the toilet in their room at the same place, which poured down onto the dining table below...during breakfast. Neither of them are welcome back either.

Not only was it my most memorable birthday (aside from the 4-hour blackout, of course), but one of the best nights of my life.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 PM

My little brother missed one birthday completely due to air travel time change en route to Australia. Depart Aug 6, Arrive, Aug 8. I don't know if that's memorable for him, but it sucks...especially as a kid.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

My sister's most memorable was probably the one where she blows out the candles and is about to open her presents then our parents get in a fight and we find out that they're getting divorced. Happy Birthday, sis.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 PM

On my 20th birthday, I was in Aruba, and I lost more money than I've ever lost before in a single day (still to this day I think) playing the juicy cash games.

On my 21st birthday, the UIGEA was passed.

I also tried E (only time I've ever done it) and drank and yelled so much that I was sick for over a month afterward and had to miss two WPT's. Somewhere out there, there are pics of me, Antonio Esfandiari's father, and a few other poker players dancing shirtless on a stage in front of a huge crowd at Senor Frogs. There are also videos of me doing unreal terrible karaoke.

I've spent my past three birthdays in Aruba (obviously because of WPT) and am looking forward to a non-Aruba birthday this year .

Birthdays suck.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 PM

I don't have any terribly memorable bdays, they've almost all been great but nothing amazing.

My parents however, run horribly.

My father's father passed away on his b-day and on my Mom's b-day this year she (thankfully in the most minor way possible) broke her back.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Probably my 16th.
I finally lost my virginity. Yay...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've ever done anything interesting for my birthday. I stopped having parties when I was 11 and after that it was mostly cake with my family.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the oldest young person I know.