Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Was this a proper route to take?

This is at a $2 SNG.

The table had been limping like crazy and donkbetting the flop since the game first stared and almost every hand saw a flop. I'm looking at implied odds here with KQ. Was this the proper path to take? What would you have done differently?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1880
UTG+1: t640
Im_new: t1415
MP2: t1280
CO: t3615
Button: t1270
SB: t1690
BB: t1710

Pre-flop: (8 players) Im_new is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, UTG+1 folds, Im_new calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t125)</font>, 2 folds, Button calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t175)</font>, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t225, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets t50</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Im_new raises to t375</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls t325 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t650)</font>.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t975, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Im_new is all-in t990</font>, UTG calls t990 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1965)</font>.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t2955, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t2955)

Results:
Final pot: t2955
Old 09-12-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Was this a proper route to take?

Since everyone is limping it's pretty tough to put him on a hand. That's why I find it better to raise preflop to give yourself some information to work with on the flop if you want to play this hand.

I've seen a lot of people stack off on a straight or flush draw at this level. Example: KJo, QJs or any lower suited cards. He could also have a set - TT. With the preflop raise I think you could eliminate a lot of those lower flush draws from his range. Of course he could have also limped AJ UTG and a lot of players love limping AA/KK UTG planning to reraise a raiser after them.

I'd basically put him on TT+ QT+ KT+ AJ+ most of the time which is fairly tough to figure out where you are without a preflop raise. He doesn't seem too scared of your flop bet so I would check behind the turn and call a reasonable bet on the river. Most of the hands that are going to call your turn bet are going to beat you, so you are only going to get more chips out of hands you beat by letting them bet the river on a missed flush draw or lower 2 pair.