Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (9/4 - Day 2a and 2b)

Khan's dance got extended. That's not all one outburst, they edited it together to make him look like more of a douche, i'm fairly confident. I was sweating that table most of that day and his outbursts, while extreme, did not drag on *that* long. He did more than one, and it's nothing for the production crew to string them along into one big tirade and then turn to a shot of the guy he beat to hit home the "YOU SHOULD NOT LIKE THIS GUY" point.

ESPN has so much power on how these players get presented. My guess is for Day 3, since he was at the featured table, they're going to play an interview with him and balance out the image they've set for him.

At least, that's my hope, Khan was an awesome guy the entire main event, chairs on head or no.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks Jedi, actually you've given me some reason to watch now. Very curious to see which way ESPN decides to go with Khan.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DN looks as if he tilted earlier or got tilted on that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

They left out a ton of hands obviously. If you read the updates, Daniel was on the chip rollercoaster before he busted, going way up and down, splashing around in a ton of pots and getting lucky a lot and also losing a lot.

On ESPN they only showed mainly his early day play, then left out the rollercoaster splashing phase, then showed the bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the guy who busted Daniel, and he had taken a couple of big hits, going from chipleader to average in a hurry...the one hand was shown, AA against Morris' top pair and flush draw, but then he lost when he raised LP with AK, the big blind pushed allin with J-Q and hit two pair...that being said, he plays a [censored] load of [censored] hands, and thinks he can outplay everyone post flop...thats why I don't re-raise him with 8-8 on that final hand, I know he has nothing but will call anyways, so I learn nothing from raising but give him info on the strength of my hand...I was fine with taking position and disguising my hand, and it worked...if I had reraised pre, I doubt if I bust him on this hand...And I played a bunch of hands against him, and probably won 90%, so I think I had a pretty good gauge of how to play him...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:29 PM

If this is true then I want to shake your hand.
Negreanu falls in love with himself and his reading abilities and becomes overconfident. Calling an all-in there with nothing but a pair of 8s was absolutely, shockingly donktastic. He was clearly trying to impress everyone by making a brilliant call (after all, he's such a great reader) and ended up looking like a horse's ass. I love it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 PM

This was said earlier in the thread, but I think many pros have the same or better reading abilities than Daniel. The difference is that they keep those reads to themselves. Daniel seems to toot his own horn was mentioning them.

Of course it doesn't help when Lon and Norman are basically fellating him on every episode he's on.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Excellent points all, S.U.B. Daniel just needs to STFU and play; his schtick is way old and grates on the nerves. In a very real sense I think he's just a kinder, gentler Hellmuth... you'll accept when he wins, but for obvious reasons it's more fun to see him lose.
LOL on "fellating"..
..and do I know absolutely nothing about poker, or is it a major league donkey move to call an all-in for all your chips with a pair--let alone a pair of eights.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DN looks as if he tilted earlier or got tilted on that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

They left out a ton of hands obviously. If you read the updates, Daniel was on the chip rollercoaster before he busted, going way up and down, splashing around in a ton of pots and getting lucky a lot and also losing a lot.

On ESPN they only showed mainly his early day play, then left out the rollercoaster splashing phase, then showed the bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the guy who busted Daniel, and he had taken a couple of big hits, going from chipleader to average in a hurry...the one hand was shown, AA against Morris' top pair and flush draw, but then he lost when he raised LP with AK, the big blind pushed allin with J-Q and hit two pair...that being said, he plays a [censored] load of [censored] hands, and thinks he can outplay everyone post flop...thats why I don't re-raise him with 8-8 on that final hand, I know he has nothing but will call anyways, so I learn nothing from raising but give him info on the strength of my hand...I was fine with taking position and disguising my hand, and it worked...if I had reraised pre, I doubt if I bust him on this hand...And I played a bunch of hands against him, and probably won 90%, so I think I had a pretty good gauge of how to play him...

[/ QUOTE ]

So was he any good? Was he as annoying in person as he seems on TV?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kyle Morris is a god!!!!!

Why do u people not get this?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. It was obvious he was put off by Daniel's act, as any non-noob with a backbone would've been, and wasn't going to suck his privates like the rest of the table (and sing backup to Eye of the Tiger for him on cue, show Daniel your cards to prove "gee you were right Mr. Negranu, phaw!!!", etc.).

edit: to clarify, I see nothing wrong with the way Daniel acts or was acting, but the majority of the rest of the table should be ashamed for rolling over for Daniel so he'd rub their bellies (minus Morris and guy in this thread who knocked him out with the set and owned him with some good table-talk). I think Morris' douchiness was reserved specifically for Daniel and designed to take away some of that 'power' DN was wielding over the table. Props to him because it appeared like it did succeed in throwing him off a bit. Of course all I saw was a few edited minutes on ESPN.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:28 PM

Excellent observations.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:54 PM

I enjoyed playing at his table, I think he's good for the game and the fans love him...he's keeping people loose, joking, taking pictures and shaking hands with people in between hands...I would rather play at a table with him any day over douches like Brenes, or Khan etc...He talks a lot, but I find it kind of amusing, cause where I play in Edmonton, angling or table talk during the hand isn't allowed, so it's kind of different and refreshing to see someone who is pretty good at it in action...and he's a class act, came over and shook my hand after I won, wished me luck