Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: AA, how much do u bet here and what if raised....?

bet like 30 and fold to a reraise. If called I would bet 1/2 pot on river if no heart or straight card comes
Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 PM

I bet 30 here if you get pushed on it does get interesting.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:28 PM

OK. When I first saw this post I had a response all typed up that basically said: Bet $27 and protect your hand. This is almost certainly what I would have done live.

Now I have been reading "Profesional No Limit Holdem Volume 1" and there is a concept in the book about controlling the size of the pot. The basic concept (from my understanding) is that you want to keep the pot small when you have a small hand (one pair) and make the pot big when you have a big hand.

For the hand in question we got a call on the flop from an out of position player on a very scary board. Here is the range of drawing hands that I put him on:
JTh, T8h, 98h, 97, 75 any flush draw.

He could also have a made hand that has us crushed.

The scare cards are: any heart, T, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, or 4. That makes 29 scare cards. He obviously does not have that many outs; however, if one of those cards hits and the villain goes all in we have to hate our hand.

With a turn bet of $30 the pot would be $99 with around $140 behind. There is a lot of money in the pot and we have a very tough decision on the river. We could lose $49 if we fold and $189 if we call and lose.

So with that said: My idea of checking the turn gives the villain a free card; however the pot would now be $39. If the villain goes all in we just insta-fold. If he makes a pot sized bet we have the option of calling. Here we lose $19 if we fold the river and $58 if we call a pot sized bet on the river and lose.

Notice that in the case where we check and call a pot sized bet we only risk $10 more than the bet 2/3 on the turn and fold on the river AND we get to see a showdown with the possibility of picking off a river bluff.

Overall the idea is to limit our risk with a vulnerable hand.

Does this make sense? Please give me feedback if you disagree. I am not certain that I am applying this concept correctly.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM

bump to look for comments