Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Question for OOT in light of what yesterday was?

Date British tube stations were bombed: 7/7.

Also catchy.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 AM

I was in Miami for Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and in NYC for 9/11. Hurricane Andrew was by far the scarier event to live through, but I don’t think I could have told you the date it hit even a month afterwards. It’s just a catchy numbers thing.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of good reasons given why we remember 9/11 and not the day Katrina hit.

Also, this country has been hit by hurricanes many times. It has been attacked by flying planes into buildings only once. Heck, has that even happened anywhere else in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I look at Katrina more as "a very large portion of a major american city was destroyed" more than just a hurricane.

I'm not shocked that it doesn't resonate with people as much as 9/11, but I am surprised that it doens't resonate louder than it does.

[/ QUOTE ]
why is it all at surprising? The United States was attacked. You know, like in a movie, only it was real life. No one cares about a rain storm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I get with 9/11 is bigger. But your post is a great example. Everybody wigged the [censored] out over 9/11 jokes, and your rain storm line isn't going to get the same response.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM

seriously if we called 9/11 the "WTC Attack" i think very few people would remember what day it was on.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM

X17 was doing interviews with people about the year 9/11 took place and a huge % (like over 50%) of people had a problem knowing the actual year. I think it has very little to do with people remembering the date It just happens that the date is the name of the event.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of good reasons given why we remember 9/11 and not the day Katrina hit.

Also, this country has been hit by hurricanes many times. It has been attacked by flying planes into buildings only once. Heck, has that even happened anywhere else in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I look at Katrina more as "a very large portion of a major american city was destroyed" more than just a hurricane.

I'm not shocked that it doesn't resonate with people as much as 9/11, but I am surprised that it doens't resonate louder than it does.

[/ QUOTE ]
why is it all at surprising? The United States was attacked. You know, like in a movie, only it was real life. No one cares about a rain storm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I get with 9/11 is bigger. But your post is a great example. Everybody wigged the [censored] out over 9/11 jokes, and your rain storm line isn't going to get the same response.

[/ QUOTE ]
emotions aren't rational. there were a few threads in EDF about this. people watch the news like a form of entertainment. they need to be able to relate to something for it to matter for them. then they can do things like put a flag on their car or change their facebook avatar to the VT ribbon.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we know 9/11 was on 9/11 because we call it 9/11 obv. if we called pearl harbor whatever the hell day it happened on, we'd all remember it too.

btw 9/11 passed without my noticing it was 9/11 at all. but then again i'm living in hong kong right now. did they run news stories on it? god 6 years later, i would hope it would be minimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Just wow at this whole thread.

First of all, we all do know the date of Pearl Harbor: "December 7th, 1941, a date which will live in infamy."

Secondly, as pointed out, more people died on September 11th than in Katrina. And even if that wasn't the case, people who do a strict "lives lost" arithmetic comparison are making a very stupid point. The assassination of JFK had more societal, cultural, and historical impact than a car crash that killed two random people in August 1984. And even if you were making that stupiid lives lost vs. a lives lost point, why Katrina and not the Tsunami?

Thirdly, anyone who can't see the difference between a terrorist attack and a natural disaster, I honestly don't know what to say to you.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(and also that I think in terms of body count, destruction, and lasting impact on the area, it's a lot worse than 9/11, but seems far less emotionally charged)

[/ QUOTE ]
No way man. Everyone has seen a bad storm before. When a *really* bad storm comes through and there is flooding, it sucks for sure, and we remember it in a certain way. But it's still not the same as gigantic exploding/collapsing skyscrapers. You aren't comparing apples to apples here dude. I guarantee you if NO was flooded because alien invaders destroyed the levees and caused a tsunami we would remember it much more distinctly.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Dids,

We'll have to wait for the next attack to happen and see how the media refers to it. Like others have said, if they hit the US on like 12/16 it probably won't be called that because its too much of a mouthful. For the media's sake, I hope it happens on a holiday so that they can refer to it as the "Veteran's Day Attack" or on a catchy date.

Also, Dids, plenty of people were making 9/11 jokes a year later.

Also, Katrina led to immediate deaths, awful gov't response, wrecking NO, and increased love for the Saints.

9/11 led to more deaths, all of which could be blamed on specific people/groups, gave us an excuse to get involved in wars in the middle east, etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 AM

It's not a number thing at all. What is boils down to is that NYC is a larger more recognizable part of the US, while New Orleans is consider by many people as simply the home to a bunch of poor black people and dumbass rednecks. The general public that has never been to either city can more easily associate with 9/11 than Hurrican Katrina. Only people that have been to New Orleans get a real sense of the city and what a speical place it is.

By the way August 29.