Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/10)

[ QUOTE ]
add in the fact that it is added in post-production and it is unbearable. akin to john madden recording in post and going "you know, the defense is probably going to blitz here, so brady should be on the lookout and go deep... but he better be wary of the jets fast cornerbacks....", blitz comes, brady is picked off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine they are doing the post-production voiceovers for all the episodes within a week or so. I'd be amazed if they were told ahead of time what is going to happen. I would think initial reactions from Gabe/AJ would make for better TV.

With that said, there are a few things to indicate that they are told which spots to talk in and which spots to let the table talk go. Obviously Gabe/AJ talk over the table talk at times, but not always. I guess Gabe/AJ go through the episodes once, do their thing, and then the table talk and voice overs are edited together so everything flows well with the show.

It would be interesting to see how exactly things are done. I don't work in the business, so these are just guesses. I'm sure someone else could explain things.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 PM

"Maybe Phil should've taken a bath"
"He's taking one right now"
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 PM

Personally, all the antics (constant babbling, 72 game, etc.) are taking away from the show for me. If I wanted to hear a bunch of people talking like idiots, I would watch another show. I want to watch some poker, but now all I'm seeing is people bluffing with 72. Sigh.
As I said before, the 72 game is okay in moderation, but I've seen a season's worth of them already in these first three episodes.

I just watched a few episodes from the first season and enjoyed them much more than any from this season.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, all the antics (constant babbling, 72 game, etc.) are taking away from the show for me. If I wanted to hear a bunch of people talking like idiots, I would go play live myself

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the commentary done in real time, e.g. Negreanu jumping in the booth?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine they are doing the post-production voiceovers for all the episodes within a week or so. I'd be amazed if they were told ahead of time what is going to happen. I would think initial reactions from Gabe/AJ would make for better TV.

With that said, there are a few things to indicate that they are told which spots to talk in and which spots to let the table talk go. Obviously Gabe/AJ talk over the table talk at times, but not always. I guess Gabe/AJ go through the episodes once, do their thing, and then the table talk and voice overs are edited together so everything flows well with the show.

It would be interesting to see how exactly things are done. I don't work in the business, so these are just guesses. I'm sure someone else could explain things.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely is that the show is rough edited, writers produce an outline of how they want the hands discussed, probably write some commentary and jokes and provide for continuity, and then Gabe and AJ come in, watch the edited version a few times and give their input, the writers take this and create a script and then they do voiceovers while the edited version is playing. After that it's more editing, etc and then the final product.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Baxter is imo the best amateur on the show yet. I also like how he behaves at the table. He didnt say anything when Hellmuth started whining after the JT vs 27 hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to grad school at Stanford with Baxter. He's a very smart, likable guy...excellent math mind (Brown undergrad, I think)...low-key but a blast to hang out with. Went on to working at a big money management firm here in LA. Cashed out big, started his own hedge fund and now runs a bunch of his own and institutional money. He's known as a very intuitive and savvy trader, makes size bets for a living and has beaten the market for the better part of 20 years through some brutal swings. For Mike, Hellmuth whining over 50 dimes is like one of his kids whining about staying up longer. This is fun to watch.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Awesome episode. Kaplan and Benza were on fire the entire show1
Old 09-12-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kaplan: "phil laak loves it when other people gamble"

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if anyone else caught on to this, it had me rolling knowing that even Kaplan notices Phil's lame ass tactics.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a) good call by Baxter though table talk helped; I really thought he did that because he read Hellmuth's beat on river as weak (he had promised a small bet but bet big) instead of being a station. Pretty impressed that Hellmuth called his hand though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its a rather good call because Phil seems awfully nitty and really will almost never valuebet three times unless he has a monster. But I think Baxter just called because he is bad, had a pair and could beat AK.

[ QUOTE ]
b) interesting that Baxter checked TPGK behind on river against Matusow; must have picked up a read that wasn't true

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol he had two pair, flop was AQJ. Lol read, he was just scared that Mikey was slowplaying and "he isnt gonna call with any worse hand anyway".

[ QUOTE ]
c) really nice to see Hellmuth lose; though the flush hand wasn't that bad considering how short they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they only had like 100bb since the shove was for 56k and the pot was 4k on turn. Great play, no way to get rid of the flush its just a cooler. Way to put 55k into a 4k pot with like 48th nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
d) AQ hand by Matusow was played really bad if he really gave up on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was actually quote well played. There is a very strong chance his AQ is beat.

[ QUOTE ]
e) AK read by Matusow against Q8o was unbelievably good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon he had AK and AK is the nuts, there is no other way to play it.

[ QUOTE ]
f) Baxter's a likable fellow, even if quiet. Cannot yet say that a good player, but better than most of the amateurs postflop so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by good you mean calling station.

[ QUOTE ]
g) The donk who donked Q5o TPNK on flop and turn was pretty bad though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed though worst part was calling preflop.