Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Please sir, can I have some more?

[ QUOTE ]
"procurement manager":

"Hey, Bill! The office is out of donuts, run out and manage to procure a coupla more dozen, eh?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should have clarified things in the interview

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Jam on the brakes if anything they say raises a red flag. I would have asked, "Excuse me for interrupting. When you say 'entry-level' what exactly are your expectations for this position?" Then allude to your experience and ask a couple of "fit" type questions - things like "I enjoy being an individual contributor but does the position allow for advancement?" "What would someone in this role be expected to contribute to be considered for the next step?"
Old 09-11-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the question is, should I get offered the job, how can I go about upping my salary request? Any success stories doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

tell them now that you have gone through the interview process and found out more about the job than from the ad you answered (or however you found the job), you realize it is more involved/demanding than initially expected. you'd like the job but need to be compensated for the skills youre able to bring to the position.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the question is, should I get offered the job, how can I go about upping my salary request? Any success stories doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]
By the way, this is another reason a recruiter is of value, as they often handle these things and can advise accordingly. Did you not know the range going in? If not then how did you know you could get $10K more?

Anyway, if you're stuck at that figure then ask them how soon you would be eligible for a review/raise. Maybe they can move it up to 3-6 months from a year or wherever it is today. There is nothing wrong with asking for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 recruiters working for me; however, I received this opportunity through a friend of a friend. Unfortunately I didn't have very much specific knowledge of what the job entailed until the interview. I had done some research on my own regarding job titles/specific areas of purchasing. Based on previous research, I believe the average for this field was 10K higher than what I asked for. However, as I think about it, if that's the average, you'd have to assume people starting out in that area would be the ones making up the low end of the spectrum.

Thanks for the advice regarding asking for an early review- that was one idea that had come up. Another:

"x salary is fine; I'm used to a x% bonus based on performance. I'd assume this company is no different?"
Old 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell them now that you have gone through the interview process and found out more about the job than from the ad you answered (or however you found the job), you realize it is more involved than initially expected. you'd like the job but need to be compensated for the skills youre able to bring to the position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another option, thanks. Do you think it would make sense to contact them before an initial offer, or wait for it?
Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice regarding asking for an early review- that was one idea that had come up. Another:

"x salary is fine; I'm used to a x% bonus based on performance. I'd assume this company is no different?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, in my experience companies are either going to have this or not, they're loathe to make an exception for someone at a non-executive level, unless they're a really small outfit. So it's something you should know but not something that's probably very negotiable.

Regarding your most recent question, the answer is: ASAP. DEFINITELY before the offer is drafted, it makes it more work for them, less likely that they'll meet your request, and more likely that if you get the job you'll be held under more scrutiny because of the higher wage.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM

there's a pretty good thread in EDF about salary negotiation
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another option, thanks. Do you think it would make sense to contact them before an initial offer, or wait for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hard-pressed to think of the wording I could use in such a "first-strike" effort, that wouldn't get me round-filed for the position.

Wait until they prove they are interested, then start exploring options with them.