Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Yet another NYC raid

Karol,

I agree with you in principle, but as one of the proprietors of the recently deceased club told me, they don't need the extra attention.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering, How come poker is legal in Atlantic City, but not other areas of New Jersey? It's not a state law?

[/ QUOTE ]

state law that only AC is permitted.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TT, most of the clubs have business cards, some have had websites. What then is the big deal about saying a club name or giving details about them in the forums? Not being a jerk, genuinely curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karol:

I wrote you a nice long message with lots of interesting facts and then I lost it. Ugh.

short answer, you and I know lots of the same people. Ask the club owners themselves how they feel about open discussion. They have enough headaches as it is trying to stay in business and protecting their players, they dont need to add to their headaches.

During WWII the saying was loose lips sink ships, the belife was that there were spys everywhere so the media kept quiet about the army's happenings. I think the saying actually started in the Navy, but the concept holds true to this day.

thats why our policy is if your the one taking the risk then feel free to hurt yourself (the club owners in any city, not just NYC), however if your just a patron its unfair to make decisions that affect other players, staff, and owners without their knowledge and permission.

For what its worth i don't think we will be seeing biz cards in the future, anything that opens up at this stage will have learned to keep everyone out except the trusted. Stay small, and underground.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. Ask the club owners themselves how they feel about open discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone that I know would rather there names be kept as far off the Internet and Papers as possible. Even if it is public knowledge/ Running in here and saying "OMG XYZ Club just got Raided looks its public knowledge it was on channel 11 news" has no purpose. If you just say a club got busted people who play will know soon enough which it was. no need to keep spreading it around thats for sure.

Also this thread makes my head hurt a lot TT and you know why ,for those of us who know the owners and play or have played in these clubs for years know the deal, those who are still new to the clubs should have an idea whats going on and read more. Those who are just throwing there 2 cents in from out of town shoudl srsly STFU.

And bitter former club owners from NJ should just die all together.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM

The club scene is pretty dead in NY because the constant raids prevent larger, better places from taking hold for casual players. I constantly get invites to new clubs, but haven't played in one for years -- since the nice one with flat screens in the 20s got busted just a month or two after opening. As a recreational player, I want a friendly, reliable, safe place to play with multiple games and lots of players -- the old PlayStation was my favorite. Given the current enforcement climate, and the constant "outing" of new clubs, I don't foresee that happening. The appeal of going to a new club with two tables and a bunch of regulars, including a fair sprinkling of the usual slimebags, is not appealing.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The club scene is pretty dead in NY because the constant raids prevent larger, better places from taking hold for casual players. I constantly get invites to new clubs, but haven't played in one for years -- since the nice one with flat screens in the 20s got busted just a month or two after opening. As a recreational player, I want a friendly, reliable, safe place to play with multiple games and lots of players -- the old PlayStation was my favorite. Given the current enforcement climate, and the constant "outing" of new clubs, I don't foresee that happening. The appeal of going to a new club with two tables and a bunch of regulars, including a fair sprinkling of the usual slimebags, is not appealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Exactly where I stand now.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel very similar.

Although after playing sporadically in NYC clubs for 4-5 years, I can still always find a game. It's really not that hard and I'm far from being deeply connected with that scene. I seriously doubt clubs are going anywhere.

Seems like every few years it gets wide open, then tightens up, then opens up yet again with big rooms operating blatantly.

From what I understand it's been this way for a long time now.

Right now there's a thriving smaller stakes home game community going on and I find it to be pretty satisfactory. Seek and you shall find.

No offense, but I'm not gonna respond to PM's for this because I don't host any games myself.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM

The one room i keep hearing about in NY has a very strict policy that it really is that you have to know someone to get in and if they don't know you, then no dice. While I agree that it saves you the headache, I have also heard that someone who did not get in called the police to report the police. you really can't win any way you look at it.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 AM

wow TT your knowledge of the NYC poker scene and the inner workings of the politics of the city are impressive to say the least.. I mean you even played with a judge...nuff said you are the man...

onoble, give up with this guy dude....he uses this platform to promote himself....it's even frustrating to read let alone have a discussion with him
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow TT your knowledge of the NYC poker scene and the inner workings of the politics of the city are impressive to say the least.. I mean you even played with a judge...nuff said you are the man...

[/ QUOTE ]

just to give some credence to TT I have played with the Judge and Producer too more then once.