Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Is this practical/possible?(Moving for the summer)

the fact that you want to go somewhere far off = you want to go somewhere you won't have a good job lined up and you won't know anybody, so it'll take a couple weeks to even get situated, and by then your summer is practically half over.

i'm telling you, road trip is the way to go. you have all year to save up for it, and you can do it super cheap if you have a reliable car and don't mind sleeping in it or camping out / staying with friends. you will see way more of the country and it will be much more memorable.

i went on a short cross-country trip when i was 23 - just two weeks to get from NYC to NC to CA and back - and even that was awesome. everyone talks about doing something like that when they are 18 but never do, i wish i had actually done it when i had all that free time and didn't have to worry about anything.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 AM

try doing a summer abroad program
Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
try doing a summer abroad program

[/ QUOTE ]

another good idea... this is also attractive for jobs / work study / transfers once you get to school
Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Uhhh!! I didn't read the whole thread but I have one comment-------SUMMER is OVER!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh!! I didn't read the whole thread but I have one comment-------SUMMER is OVER!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha I'm talking about for next year...I just want to start figuring things out as soon as possible.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM

I don't think it's as difficult as people are making it out to be. I feel like half the waiters/waitresses I meet in beach towns are college-aged kids visiting for the summer and renting out apartments with a large group of people.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM

The summer after I graduated HS, I went to CA and lived for 3 months and did construction (for a friend's uncle), the next summer I lived in SD for 3-4 months (at Wall Drug), and the summer after that I went to Lake Powell, UT for 4 months (at Hall's Crossing). There are tons of resort-type places across the country that are looking both to hire summer help and provide free/discount housing. Its a great way to spend a summer living somewhere completely different and earn some cash. The places I looked into also hired tons of Europeans, so you meet some really different people as well.

When I was in SD, I worked with an English chick that was smoking hot and came through some type of work-abroad agency. She said that she had to fill out a thing that asked her where in the US she would most like to live/work, and it had 12 choices. She filled it out with a place in FL that gave employees free jet ski time, cheap scuba lessons, etc, a place in CA right on the beach, and so on, basically awesome vacation places. She said she got sick of filling it out by her 12th choice, and just put down Wall, SD, figuring it wouldn't come to her 12th choice. She was pretty moody and bitter the whole summer.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM

I can only speak to what I know and that's Barcelona.
First of all, lots of fun in the summer. Lots and lots and lots of fun.
Second, not too expensive to live here - yes, it statistically has a high cost of living, but not if you are cool with living rather student-y. You could easily get a flat-share with a bunch of other ppl by looking on www.loquo.com - you could POSSIBLY get a summer job under the table, but it might not work out.
I would suggest that you bank your nickels during the school year and plan on not working, but hope to get some under the table work as a waiter or handing out flyers for a few euros an hour.
Barcelona is great cos most ppl speak English and there are also loads of Castillian (i.e., Spanish) language classes places around.
Third, I basically did this - the taking the whole summer and just living in Spain - two years ago and it worked out so well that I bought a place. You never know what you can love about a city - especially one by the sea.
If I can be of any help (if you get serious about Barcelona) pm me for more details.
gl!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can only speak to what I know and that's Barcelona.
First of all, lots of fun in the summer. Lots and lots and lots of fun.
Second, not too expensive to live here - yes, it statistically has a high cost of living, but not if you are cool with living rather student-y. You could easily get a flat-share with a bunch of other ppl by looking on www.loquo.com - you could POSSIBLY get a summer job under the table, but it might not work out.
I would suggest that you bank your nickels during the school year and plan on not working, but hope to get some under the table work as a waiter or handing out flyers for a few euros an hour.
Barcelona is great cos most ppl speak English and there are also loads of Castillian (i.e., Spanish) language classes places around.
Third, I basically did this - the taking the whole summer and just living in Spain - two years ago and it worked out so well that I bought a place. You never know what you can love about a city - especially one by the sea.
If I can be of any help (if you get serious about Barcelona) pm me for more details.
gl!

[/ QUOTE ]
I would love to go somewhere in another country but probably not anytime soon.