Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Party 10/20. I fold top set vs strong villain

Villain seems very good. I have no notes on him but I seem to remember him outplaying me on one other occasion. Dunno why I didnt make a note of it then.

His stats are 28/20. He is aggro with an AF of 2.9 and have SD stats of 40/55. This is filtered for 5-6 handed and is after 2.8k hands.

I have seen him play 30/60 and I am fairly sure he is a winner at party mid stakes.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

I folded the river feeling quite donkish. I was surprised that he 3-bet the turn since he should recognize my hand as AK with significant probability. I then realized he most likely had a flush but idiotically convinced myself that his river check meant a lower set or QJ.

Can I ever call the river raise?
Please reassure me that the river bet is bad(?)
Could I even call the river if just bets it?

I really played this bad didnt I?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Party 10/20. I fold top set vs strong villain

folding river ui to a bet right? probably right to do so, so i wouldn't feel too chipper when he checks the river. he can't exactly pay off here with very much anyway. what does he beat with 22?

edit: missed your specific questions at end but kind of re-asked them and answered them in my post anyway
Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM

meh I am a spewing idiot. Looking at the hand again I cant see how he ever has anything but a flush.

I really wish I would stop making these expensive mistakes some day.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM

You played this way more aggressively than I would have against someone with a 2.9. This isn't a great flop for him to be making a play at because you're likely not to believe him. I would have just called the turn because it really changes nothing. The river is the most interesting street for me though. He has the flush here or he's leveling you. The thing is, when he checks there, what hands are you trying to get calls from on that board? He doesn't have a set and I don't think he has the straight because he would have bet that here as well. His most likely hand is a small flush and he took a chance that you would bet your set or better here even though I think that's not the right play for him.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:49 PM

I think he most likely has flush on turn as well. Also, he could have something like AQ with A spades. Unfortunately, even that got there on the river.

1) I don't think you ever call the raise, but its hard not to in the heat of the moment.

2) I think river bet is bad, yes your hand improved, but not much relative to strength villain has shown.

3) I probably c/c if villain bets but thats bc I hate folding on the river in big pots. This is probably a leak of mine however.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 PM

I think the turn raise isn't that bad, but I'm not sure whether you can call the river UI after he 3-bets.

The river value bet is pretty non-existant since I don't think can ever call with a worse hand, and if he has the flush you are getting sexied every time.

I probably would have 3-bet the flop, called down from a cap, but I don't think your play is that bad other than the river bet.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Ouch! I probably play this hand the same way but call the river. I'm just too curious against an aggressive tricky opponent. As I continued to think about this hand though it is almost impossible to think of a hand you beat here.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM

The river raise is either the WORST bluff ever or you got pwnd and i really think you got pwnd hard.

Check the river all night long.

I also 3-bet the flop a lot. I don't know why nobody jams flops anymore. Waiting for turns/rivers = variance a lot of the time, puts you in weird spots, and doesn't give any credibility to other times you show strenght on this flop, like when you do have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something. It also lets you jam more turn. I don't know. I love the flop.

It also helps me showdown a lot more, which is very important in SHLHE imo.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:56 PM

well I certainly can see why you felt dirty and used after this hand was over. the guy got you to put in a million bets and then fold top set on the river. The problem is there is absolutely no way you're good on the river, there are a million ways he could have you beat here. And I can't really see a good place to put in less bets before the river. If the guy is very good though you should be able to check the river as QT/JT/QJ should be an instamuck. and actually sets too.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He is aggro with an AF of 2.9 and have SD stats of 40/55. This is filtered for 5-6 handed and is after 2.8k hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate him.

I really like his river line with a flush.