Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/10)

I wish I could be as bad as Phil Hellmuth is.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM

I bet you are.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM

I think it's annoying how they attack Hellmuth
Safari's comment was distasteful but he's that type of guy
just watch the clips from next week
Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM

The only reason I think Safari's joke was a little out of line is because I don't think that's the right type of joke to make about someone unless you're pretty good friends with him, which I don't think was the case here.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta say something about Todd. I know he's supposed to be an amazing limit poker player, but NL definately seems to be his worst game. Almost everything I have seen from him these past 3 seasons on HSP has been sub-par. He plays insanely nitty in terms of how the rest of the table is playing and when he does make moves, he either can't seem to sell them (see AK vs 99 hand vs Matusow), or can't create a good line (his 80k or 90k shove with AK on the flop vs Negreanu's AQ in season 1)

Again, I know he's an incredible player, but his NL cash game seems a bit weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Todd's one of the best NL cash players at that table.

(though I know that's not saying a ton)
Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Classic from Safai. Asking Hellmuth if he jacked off while looking at a picture of himself, then had to take a shower when it got all over him. Wow. Priceless

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally found this comment distasteful and out of line even if Safai really did just repeat what the others had said when Phil was away. But I'm not a Phil hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

//// DON`T READ - SPOILERS ////

Yea, I agree that the comment was distasteful. I laughed my ass off to Helmuth throughout the show, first he made that great bluff vs mike, and he was so full of himself and then get owned. I don`t really like Phil Helmuth, aside that he`s funny to watch, but people should really respect him a little more.

Regarding the hand where Mike B. outplayed Phil with JT. I think he really played it good. It`s live poker, and I was really surprised how Phil gave his hand away. Even if Baxter would have called the turn, there is no way he would have called the river, had Phil not shown weakness by talking.

As for the flush hand. Can`t really blame Phil for shoving there given the stack sizes.

Also, Mike Matusow makes some sick reads.

//// DON`T READ SPOILERS ////

[/ QUOTE ]

*SPOILERS*

Phil had baxter folding on the turn, and he was still folding when phil called his hand, but everything after that induced a call.

Phil Laak is good for the show. He was entertaining last year, and we cant expect a guy to play hands just b/c it's on t.v. for us to watch. He's sitting with six figures. He's getting paid something like $1500/hour I think? If I'm card dead in that game, a game where people like to look you up, i'm not going to risk a hundred grand for TV time or entertainment. Besides, it was the best episode ever, plenty of action and great hands.

While Safai's comment to hellmuth was lacking taste and class, hellmuth deserves whatever he gets in the form of verbal abuse. And the dude tilts so hard he'd be broke if he was a cash game player. I honestly think there was no bet he could make on the river in that 72 hand that would win him the pot. If the river came an ace and he bet $27,500 then he'd take the pot, but the river was a brick and phil convinced baxter with his table talk that phil had air, and air in that game is usually going to be 7-2. Fwiw, I think that it should be $1,000 per player on the 7-2 game, and $2,500 per player if you three barrell it with no pair and win.

Great episode, best yet.

Baxter is the best amatuer I think we've seen yet; granted we only saw a few hands, but that's my inital opinion. Safai seems to be great for the game, too.

And LOL at hellmuth playing the worst possible flush that fast against a guy like Safai.

Did Phil lose $150,000 in the past two episodes?

-Tex
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Classic from Safai. Asking Hellmuth if he jacked off while looking at a picture of himself, then had to take a shower when it got all over him. Wow. Priceless

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally found this comment distasteful and out of line even if Safai really did just repeat what the others had said when Phil was away. But I'm not a Phil hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellmuth's talk didn't help him any in that 27 hand but I think the other people at the table pointing out Phil's suspicious actions played a role as well and I was surprised Phil didn't go off on them all after the hand.

Mike totally talked his way right out of 30k with those quads. Very amateurish IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Maybe distastefull but funny as hell.

-Phil should have shut up right after he put the guy on J10 to his face. I think he was gonna fold but he kept talking. Stupid.

-Mike cost himself money by talking. Phil was tilted and knows Mike could be EASILY be bluffing with air here. Phil picked up on Mikes strength when he started jabbering. I said as soon as he opened his mouth.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM

this 27 game is very entertaining imo...wow, hellmuth looks worse and worse on these episodes, hard to imagine his apex was his bluff at the beginning of the season...

while i like baxter at first glance, he did get some cards, but still, positive for the game...
Old 09-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Some of this players have no idea of why they are making some of the plays. For example the AQ hand with Matusow.

He check-raises his opponent on AJ3r flop with AQ OOP and gets called. Then he makes a tiny bet on the turn and gets called again. After the hand he said he though he was beat on the turn. Why c/r the flop if he doesn't think he will get called down by a worse hand?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:22 PM

Other thought about the show:

-Todd doesn't usually bother me but he has been acting very nitty lately and I'm growing tired of him. Jesus with the complaining.

-Laak, same thing, A little of him goes a LONG way. Maybe he needs Ritalin or something.

-Hellmuth is [censored] delusional. I don't normally like to watch him whine etc but so far on HSP the Hellmuth moments have been priceless. What a complete douche he is.