Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:05 AM

Default the intelligence curve in human beings versus animals

on one hand, you have scientists and engineers who are developing cures and building space shuttles and on the other hand, you have the average human being who is practically a chimpanzee with emotions. does such a curve exist in any other animals?

why aren't there more geniuses? what are the physical differences between albert einstein's brain and the average human being?

to what extent is intelligence genetic? if two very intelligent people reproduce, would their one year child score higher on baby iq tests, or are geniuses random? if they are random, why are they random?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: the intelligence curve in human beings versus animals

Because stupid people have more children. Is it that hard to understand? Intelligence is tied to genetics but even the part that isn't comes from how your parents taught you from day 1. Stupid people make stupid kids, end of story. I think we're getting dumber with each generation. Look at the degradation of spoken English over the last 100-200 years and tell me we're not getting dumber.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 AM

to what extent is intelligence genetic?

I believe very, like most other traits.

if two very intelligent people reproduce, would their one year child score higher on baby iq tests, or are geniuses random?

On average, they'd likely score better. But randomness always exists or we'd be simple hybrids of our parents with all the same traits. We know this isn't the case (or we'd have never evolved, for one).

if they are random, why are they random?

Mutations ftw.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM

The "software" (language, ideas, habits, beliefs) involved in human consciousness creates a second dimension of variance, beyond just the dimension of "hardware" variance that results from different genetic potentials.

If you read much about first rank geniuses, it becomes clear that their mental hygiene alone would result in a different sort of consciousness than the average person experiences. Guys like Feynmann seem to give themselves very little down time at all; they exercise their creativity and reasoning almost 24/7.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 PM

so your telling me all those illiterate masses 200 years ago were smarter than the literate masses today ?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because stupid people have more children. Is it that hard to understand? Intelligence is tied to genetics but even the part that isn't comes from how your parents taught you from day 1. Stupid people make stupid kids, end of story. I think we're getting dumber with each generation. Look at the degradation of spoken English over the last 100-200 years and tell me we're not getting dumber.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the exponential increase in demand of intelligence for a functional society and you'll get your answer. Language and communication are not equatable. Simply because people are using 'improper' English doesn't mean they are less intelligent.

Looking at the development of technology and global communication in the last hundred years tells me we are progressing at a faster rate than before. To say otherwise is to bath in cynical ignorance.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah but einstein still makes intelligent people look like a chimpanzee.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a myth. Einstein didn't accept quantum mechanics by philosophical reasons. A lot of his theories were in fact co-discovered, save for general relativity. He certainly was very bright, but the intellegence difference between him and other top scientists was not too big.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a myth. Einstein didn't accept quantum mechanics by philosophical reasons. A lot of his theories were in fact co-discovered, save for general relativity. He certainly was very bright, but the intellegence difference between him and other top scientists was not too big.

[/ QUOTE ]
nerd.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM

I am very impressed by the intelligence of an average person. An average person can speak, read and write, drive a car... That is pretty impressive. I am more impressed with how good we are on average than with how smart the smartest people are. Everyobdy sucks at math and theoretical physics, not just dumb people.