Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: How do you play monster draws early in tournaments?

I guess no one read my 3rd post. Oh well, I guess I know for next time to clarify myself better.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: How do you play monster draws early in tournaments?

Tournaments reward survival. Playing marginally EV hands for your entire stack early in a tournament, especially a tournament with a low buy-in or a freeroll, is probably less desireable than playing them a little more slowly, and even then only when in position. The main thing you don't want to do is overestimate fold equity in a tournament like that. Frequently guys just won't fold TP or an overpair, so why get all-in early in a tournament with only 55% equity when you think you can get it all-in later with a much better chance to double up? In general, I think you can wait for better situations to get all in than a combo draw when it's early in the tournament.

So, in general, early in a tournament where stacks aren't deep enough (or maybe players are not "good enough") for guys to fold 1-pair hands, then I'd say play combo draws only in good position, and then only for a small call on the flop if and only if you have good implied odds if you make your hand on the turn.

Now, there are ton of exceptions. Maybe if stacks are deeper and you have position, you might call a flop bet and semi-bluff the turn if checked to. Or maybe you semi-bluff raise a bet on the flop, but then check behind for a free card if checked to on the turn. Or say it's the final table and you end up in a raised pot on the button with an OESFD and a guy with more chips who you believe has top pair or an overpair goes all-in, then you should call because you will most likely be better than 50% to more than double your stack.

But, in general, early in a tournament, I don't think you need to be so quick risk everything on slight favorites.

As for your OP, it's too hard to read unconverted hands. Please use a converter.