Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Ax offsuit preflop question

You're playing in a shorthanded game which is loose passive. It's folded to the CO who limps. You're in the Button with A5o. What's your play?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Ax offsuit preflop question

c/f/r = 5/80/15
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM

A5o has high card strength with the Ace, but its kicker is weak. Interestingly it is slightly stronger than A6o, because of its possibility to make a wheel (A to 5 straight).

This makes A5o worth raising first in from late position. First you have some fold equity. Second, against one opponent, you have a fair chance of your A high winning, if neither you or your opponent pair one of your hole cards.

After someone has limped in before you, your folding equity has probably been lost.

There is a chance that your raise may fold the blinds and get the hand heads up against the limper, whom you will have position on.

However, if the game is loose passive, you may still find yourself playing multiway against players who like to call down with any part of the board. Then your A5o wont play very well, although you still will have position.

So, I would fold A5o on the button after the CO limps in a loose passive game. I think there would be too great a chance of having to play a possibly dominated hand multiway.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I would fold A5o on the button after the CO limps in a loose passive game. I think there would be too great a chance of having to play a possibly dominated hand multiway.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are there conditions when you would limp it? I ask because I was watching BaronZeus's 6max video and he had A4o in a similar position. I think he folded, but he said there was a case to be made for limping. That was a 30/60 game, but I'd been contemplating this beforehand so his comment got me thinking about what table conditions you'd want to limp.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 AM

I fold a big majority of the time with Arag when its not openfolded to me. If CO is really bad and blinds are tight I might raise. In a loose passive game Im getting enough +EV spots that I dont have to push too hard with hands like this.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So are there conditions when you would limp it? I ask because I was watching BaronZeus's 6max video and he had A4o in a similar position. I think he folded, but he said there was a case to be made for limping. That was a 30/60 game, but I'd been contemplating this beforehand so his comment got me thinking about what table conditions you'd want to limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it would pretty much be a fold or raise decision for me. I cant really think of a situation in which I would want to limp A5o from late position after a limper.

I have also just finished watching BaronZeus's video. 1 hour long ! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Its good ! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I found it quite funny watching how he happily carried on 2 tabling 30/60 when his phone rang, and also how casual he seemed to be about running bad ! (On the other hand, running bad was the reason he made the video.)

If you have not already, read CardSharpCook's posts (towards the end of the thread) about BZ's play. Very interesting !
Old 09-10-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that it would pretty much be a fold or raise decision for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all 3 opponents are loose, passive, and terrible this is almost the polar opposite of raise-or-fold.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM

The general consensus seems to be raise or fold.

I think a great deal depends on your opponent as well, which has been touched upon. If the flop comes 2 4 4, is your opponent likely to take a stab at these kinds of flops?

I think this is a situation where you should really push your positional advantage. You might even play it passively and then crank it up on the turn if a scare card comes, or even take it away on 5th street if a draw looks like it came in.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/f/r = 5/80/15

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kinda in this boat, but prolly

5/85/10

BTW, I want to barf everytime I hear someone say raise or fold. This is hardly ever true, ESPECIALLY in micro games.

IMO, here is a valid raise/fold scenario

Live 2/4 game which is raked $4 on the flop no matter what.
Folded to you OTB w/ 22. Your play? Raise/Fold! Limping here can actually lose you money even if you win the pot outright!