Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Early FT $50k Guaranteed Preflop Decision

15/30 level. Nothing memorable has happened thus far.

Folds to CO who raises to 105. SB makes it 345. Hero is in the Big blind with 1850 and J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Flat call, fold, reraise, shove?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Early FT $50k Guaranteed Preflop Decision

shove, get called by the SB 77, bust out when he hits a set on the flop?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:49 AM

Yeah, I think a shove is appropriate here.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 AM

its either a fold or a shove. I probably push in your position.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Folds to CO who raises to 105. SB makes it 345. Hero is in the Big blind with 1850 and J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Flat call, fold, reraise, shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming effective stacks sizes of 1800...
This is pretty awkward without reads on either player. You're 43% against a std (tight) 3-betting range of: TT-AA;AKo;AKs. Equity doesn't change if u add AQo+AQs. Don't know if it is significant, but the raise size seems kinda small, since SB is going to be OOP if flatcalled. Usually this early, RR's are the goods, but not always. If you call and CO calls, u will have position on SB and u will prob get decent info from his c-bet (since his c-bet range should be tighter w CO in the pot.) If u call and CO folds, SB can c-bet any flop, and u will still be guessing if your hand is good or not.

Given the fact that your equity isn't that strong against SB's 3-betting range (with very little dead-money in the pot), and given the fact that a call by you will give CO good odds to call too, coldcalling might be ok. Also, if CO is bad, and will stack off with TP here, u are prob getting the right implied odds to play for set value (although w/out a read this may be wishful thinking.)

Tough spot, readless...i think i coldcall and hope that CO calls and the flop is 458r...lol.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming effective stacks sizes of 1800...
This is pretty awkward without reads on either player. You're 43% against a std (tight) 3-betting range of: TT-AA;AKo;AKs. Equity doesn't change if u add AQo+AQs. Don't know if it is significant, but the raise size seems kinda small, since SB is going to be OOP if flatcalled. Usually this early, RR's are the goods, but not always. If you call and CO calls, u will have position on SB and u will prob get decent info from his c-bet (since his c-bet range should be tighter w CO in the pot.) If u call and CO folds, SB can c-bet any flop, and u will still be guessing if your hand is good or not.

Given the fact that your equity isn't that strong against SB's 3-betting range (with very little dead-money in the pot), and given the fact that a call by you will give CO good odds to call too, coldcalling might be ok. Also, if CO is bad, and will stack off with TP here, u are prob getting the right implied odds to play for set value (although w/out a read this may be wishful thinking.)

Tough spot, readless...i think i coldcall and hope that CO calls and the flop is 458r...lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the range you put him on is too tight. Just because the initial raiser is the CO, so the SB could easily open his 3-bet range way out here. I think AQ is definitely in, as are the PPs down to 66/77.

I disagree that this is a small re-raise. You see 2-3x quite a lot. So I think the fact that it is relatively large - 3.5 times - against a LP raiser, is a bit of a giveaway he's not that strong and kind of wants to end the hand here and now, I think AA and KK are pretty unlikely.

I can't see how you can have close to the "implied odds to call for set value" since you would need to more than double up 100% of the times you hit and never lose with a set to even aproach the break even mark.

If you cold call, I'm not entirely sure what flop you are looking for. It seems the reason you are unwilling to shove is you think he has a big chance of having a higher pair. Are you going to be able to get away from a low flop? If so how?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shove, get called by the SB KK, bust out when he holds up.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-10-2007, 02:51 PM

Id call and reevaluate on flop for several reasons. So reckless to shove this early vs 2 unknowns.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Id call and reevaluate on flop for several reasons. So reckless to shove this early vs 2 unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you call 1/6 of your chips hoping for what flop to get the rest of them in on?

This is push/fold, leaning towards push readless since his range likely includes some smaller pp's as well as AK and AQ.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 PM

push or fold. Probably push. Beside a Jack on board, any flop can be a problem as an all small board still results in you likely stacking off to a higher pocket pair and gives the CO a chance to hit a set with his small pocket pair and good odds.