Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Beginner looking to improve. Can you help?

Here's how I view my own play. Tight, aggressive. Very patient usually. Not too prone to tilt (I get pissed but I don't play more hands than usual). Positionally aware. I've read a few books, with Harrington 1 being my fav so far. I'm working on Harrington 2 and have Harrington 3 on deck. PNL is in the hole.

Here's my Donkey Test scores.

Poker IQ = 108
Positional Play = 116
Blinds = 111
Tournament play = 80 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Big Pairs = 112
Small and Medium Pairs = 104
Bluffing = 119
Flop Texture = 119
Pot Odds = 97 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Logic = 117
Betting Patterns = 118
Hand Selection = 111
Aggression = 122
Computational speed = 80 (wasn't paying attn. didnt know it was timed...was browsing/chatting)

I've been fairly successful at 1-2 NL games, doing better in LAG games than TP games. I've been very successful at some "semi free" tourneys online where you start with deep stacks (10k). I'm moderately successful at single table online SNGs. I'm not very successful at live tourney's, and tourneys where you start with 1,500 - 3,000 chips.

I *think* I may tend to be a bit too tight/patient early in tournaments because I'll often get myself into Low-M trouble (if that's the right term). I used to get to final tables with short stacks all the time, but I've since learned a little about being more aggressive in late position (thanks Mr. Harrington) and have started finishing top-3 more often, and winning a few outright.

It feels like my main problem is being card-dead early in tournaments. If I can "get lucky" and pick up some chips early, I can be patient and play my game. If I'm card dead with a shrinking stack I feel pressured and tighten up even more.

So...with that book outta the way...have any suggestions? Book suggestions or specfic suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
DP
Old 09-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Beginner looking to improve. Can you help?

HoH1= noob book. Read book 2, play more, read skalansky, play live and online more, play more.

Reading books can help you start, playing lots equals mad skillz or no money.

Play many cheaper tournies online that start with the lower ammounts and test play styles there (but realize that fast play in online tournies does not equate to playing well in live longer tournies or longer tournies online). Play, Play, Play..... then get better, thats my advice.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:25 PM

There's a new Sit n Go strategy book from 2+2. There is also a 3rd Volume of HoH. Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky is good, too.

You can't help being card dead. It happens.

Finally, post in the tournament forums with specific hands and strategy questions. I don't post much there since I mostly play cash games.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It feels like my main problem is being card-dead early in tournaments. If I can "get lucky" and pick up some chips early, I can be patient and play my game. If I'm card dead with a shrinking stack I feel pressured and tighten up even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to do the opposite. HoH vol 2, part nine (inflection points) covers this. Harrington uses a zone system, which works quite well for me.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've started HoH vol 2 and the part on inflection points has helped a bit. I have HFAP but got it long ago when I was just starting...it was a bit too much to understand then, but I'll get back to that one. I also picked up the Full Tilt book, and NLTAP.

Between the studying and getting more practice, I'm sure I'll get better a little at a time.