Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Why I don\'t like Bellagio

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean the B upped their poker rates? was it not 10% 4 dollar max?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the rate at the hotel. When the Wynn opened both the Wynn and Bellagio rates were $129 weeknights and $199 weekends. Then at some point Bellagio went to $149 and $219, however the rate could be higher if their occupancy rate was high. So the first time they quoted me something like $289 for the weekend, I moved over to the Wynn. The Wynn has held the rate to $129 and $199.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:06 AM

It's very difficult for the Bellagio to get good people to work low limit floor. The general consensus among people who work there is that the low podium is very hard work and less income than the worst dealer there. Until the situation changes dramatically players will just have to hope to get lucky. Talented staff members aren't exactly flocking to work the low podium, and it's the only way to start moving up the ladder there.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Get them to work? Management should be able to tell their employees their duties. It makes sense to have the floormen work in all areas so they get more experience.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get them to work? Management should be able to tell their employees their duties. It makes sense to have the floormen work in all areas so they get more experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

get them to work = get them to agree to take the job. Being a dealer pays better.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get them to work = get them to agree to take the job. Being a dealer pays better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do dealers in most poker rooms work the floor on a volunteer basis, or are they told that is their assignment for the day and have no choice? I always wondered but never asked one of them. I figured it was a step up to work the floor and assumed they were paid more for it on the nights they worked the floor.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do dealers in most poker rooms work the floor on a volunteer basis, or are they told that is their assignment for the day and have no choice? I always wondered but never asked one of them. I figured it was a step up to work the floor and assumed they were paid more for it on the nights they worked the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

For all rooms that I have experienced floor duty is a separate job (with the exception of the Borgata where some dealers sometimes also worked the floor for extra money, and CAZ where a few floor people fill in as dealers). Its generally a step up the management chain, but its a step down in the pay scale - its a job thats ideal for someone who values self worth over income.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Well put TT. It's a good job for young people who don't necessarily need to make that much now, but who hope to make more later than they ever could dealing. It's pretty much a losing proposition for people to start at the bottom of the ladder after age 40 or so IMO.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Floor is a separate job.

In terms of job status, the ladder is dealer, to dual-rate (person splits time flooring and dealing, get paid min wage + tips when in the box, get paid hourly when flooring), to full-time floor and then on up. Each step is considered a "promotion".

In the case of the Bellagio what was written is true - working the low-limit podium sucks but is the neccessary evil step in order to get time at the mid-limit podium on up, and the major difference is tips.

Low-limit players (and others who would go to that podium, the 2/5-5/10NL and stud players) don't generally tip the floor, whereas the mid-limit+ players (15/30lhe+, 10/20NL+, 40/80 mix) will tip the floor for getting them seated and getting their chips and for any other additional services (mainly ordering food, which mostly mid-limit+ players do in that room from what I've seen).

It all adds up to a significant difference in annual salary between the floors.

In general, as far as flooring goes, my friend and I have generalized three types of people who decide to "move up" to flooring from dealing:

1) People looking to move up in position and hope to eventually be a shift manager/tournament director/card room manager. For these types it makes sense to take the interim hit in pay because they're ultimately looking for career advancement and a larger salary.

2) The dealers that suffer from "box fatigue" and who wish to not want to deal anymore. Dealing is a taxing job. It pays well, yeah, but it can get mentally and physically exhausting and annoying. These people still wish to work in poker and make generally decent floors, but they have no real inspiration to move up the ladder, instead they want to still get a paycheck and not have to be confined to the box and are willing to take the pay hit to do so.

3a) Morons who get suckered into taking the floor job. Happens when a room needs a floor but the good dealers getting paid well don't want the job, so the sucky dealer rube who thinks "Hey, I can have an iota of power!!!!111" is the only one who wants it and gets it. These are where you get your crappy floors from.

3b) Morons who get suckered into taking the floor job. Happens when a room needs a floor but the good dealers getting paid well don't want the job, so management goes to one of the good dealers and sells them a bunch of empty promises to leave the box, such as opportunity for advancement, a better lifestyle, a say in what will happen with the room, you get the picture. The good dealer takes the job, but then in time discovers that he was indeed sold a bad bill of goods, and is now mired in a job he's not exactly happy with, with no power and no opportunity for advancement, and in some cases no chance to move back down into the box and in other cases discover they are in over their heads. These people can be OK floors, but generally range from crappy to OK, nothing special.

Anyway, back to UFC.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:11 AM

At Foxwoods, a good deal of dealers split time as floormen. Maybe Tom Strictly Strategy can fill us in on pay rates. It might be the same since the tips are pooled.

In a related story, I have never been treated with anything other than respect from the Foxwoods floor. I only play small and medium stakes.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a related story, I have never been treated with anything other than respect from the Foxwoods floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

for what its worth I have never been treated in a rude manor by any brush (person who manages the list is not a floorperson usually), at any room, anywhere. Maybe its my magnetic personality or something [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]