Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Default issues with Vista install

Hey guys,

I am having a problem trying to install Vista. I got a new Inspiron the other day and want to do a format/reinstall.

I boot from the installation DVD and Windows enters set-up. I choose "custom installation" and see two partitions listed. I try to format the main partition - nothing happpens. I then press "next" to get installation started on that partition even though the format hasn't happened. Windows starts installing. It finishes some stuff and reboots. It then starts finishing up the install when I get hit with the blue screen of death. The computer then reboots and tries to start Windows. It cannot and gives me the following message:

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windos, click OK to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

This has happened twice now, and I seem to be caught in a vicious cycle. Could the RAM be bad? I bought new RAM for it but havn't put it in yet.

Anyways, I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: issues with Vista install

You are probably missing a driver or two. I haven't run a Vista install, but I think there is a spot early in the installation where you are given the option of installing hardware drivers. If the computer worked with the original install, it's unlikely that any of your hardware is bad.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are probably missing a driver or two. I haven't run a Vista install, but I think there is a spot early in the installation where you are given the option of installing hardware drivers. If the computer worked with the original install, it's unlikely that any of your hardware is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted my only experience with the format/reinstall was with XP, but I thought you just installed all the drivers after installed the OS?

The only time I see a "load driver" option during the install (before it crashes anyway) is on the screen where it asks you where you want to install windows (what partition, etc.) The same screen where I try to format the drive, the PC thinks for a second, and then nothing happens.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 PM

got it working somehow

just deleted both partitions it came with and installed on the drive