Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License

i would probably show my receipt in that case. i don't really have a problem with the procedure itself. but if i had to sit around waiting for them to even get to me when i could just walk out the door, i'd walk.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:39 PM

daryn,

What if you thought the checker guy was really dumb and would probably take forever figuring out what "TOSHIBA 16M SIMM" on the receipt matched to?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:39 PM

[x] daryn is hardcore.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 PM

This guy has the right to make a stand like he did, but he still comes off as a giant douche.

Let's say this story becomes a big deal, he sues Circuit City and wins, and retail stores never again ask for a receipt or hinder potential shoplifters in any way.

How many of you want to bear the cost of increased shoplifting as a result of this guy's principles?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And now my name is floating around somewhere for photographing a federal building from a public space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has that affected your life any?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the type of response that frustartes me in these discussions because it shows the point at which our fundamental differences come out.

To the best of my knowledge, no it has not. But that doesn't make me opposed to it any less.

If the police had the right to throw me in jail for nothing at any time, but never did, that too would scare me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Throwing you in jail for no reason isn't even in the same hemisphere as logging your personal info.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we're back to the "slippery slope" part I mentioned about parting ways.

No, it's not the same thing. But it comes down to the government having, taking or coercing more power than they should have. I don't expect us to find common ground here.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most people, myself included, are easily intimidated by authority. Secret Service once asked for my ID because I was shooting pictures on the streets in D.C. - I complied, but somehow felt lousy about it. I knew I didn't do anything wrong and was pretty sure I didn't have to show. But I wasn't sure, didn't know what the next step would be if I didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude not showing your ID to a cop is one thing, but you sure as hell better identify yourself to a secret service agent. They'll lock you up without ever giving you a trial for that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

perg,

Didn't you post some adventure a while back where a cop asked you for your ID and you refused? I think you were in the back seat and the driver was drunk maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. I don't get in the back seat of a drunk driver's car.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
daryn,

What if you thought the checker guy was really dumb and would probably take forever figuring out what "TOSHIBA 16M SIMM" on the receipt matched to?

[/ QUOTE ]

tough call. we all make quick mental decisions (don't we?) in situations like this, and if my brain told me i had a hard time ahead of me, i'd be likely to skip out.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many of you want to bear the cost of increased shoplifting as a result of this guy's principles?

[/ QUOTE ]

This question cannot be answered until someone explains why discontinuing this procedure will result in a remotely meaningful increase in shoplifting.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This question cannot be answered until someone explains why discontinuing this procedure will result in a remotely meaningful increase in shoplifting.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty easy to see. almost all of those kind ofstores started to adopt this kind of policy. why do you think they did that? just because everyone else was doing it? it probably saves them money, otherwise they wouldn't pay a guy to stand there and check receipts. logically it follows that if said guy was removed, they would lose more money than they are currently losing, and it's only fair to think they'd pass the "losings" onto the customer.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 PM

i'm pretty sure that this kind of case has already been brought to the supreme court. A guy got pulled over and cop asked to see his DL. Guy asked what he did wrong, cop said didn't matter, show me the DL. Guy refused.

I'm pretty sure the gov won, but i'm not sure if the gov actually won or if that case applies here.

As for the actual case, refusing to show your receipt leaving the store is pretty petty and childish, and is in no way a stance for larger civil rights. Its just a way of being a dick.

As for the ID thing, thats [censored]. But cops aren't always the brightest people in the world, and it seems more like a mistake by a cop than a overarching destruction of our civil rights.