Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Frustrated Poker Players on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
Did you read the post you're responding to?

Does a pro baseball player try to hit every pitch? He never said Gold shouldn't try to win the ME, just not every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ball players try to hit every pitch that they swing at. They don't swing at every pitch. Poker players try to win every pot that they enter. They don't play every pot.

Frustration can show in some of these situations.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:05 PM

Honestly, Hachem has become kind of a douche at the table (on TV anyhow). Gold always was one. Moneymaker, I think, embarrassed himself with that really lame act he put on when trying to get some amateur to call his two pair. But what can you say? The guy was probably getting sick of never lasting past day one.

Say what you will, at least Varkonyi never comes off as an entitled jerk. Neither has Raymer yet. Other 2000 champs Mortenson and Ferguson also behave with decorum.

(As for non-champs and non-pros throwing hissy fits, well, nine times out of ten they're donks anyhow. What do you expect? I imagine there's a high correlation between stomping your feet when a flush outdraws your top pair and not having a f-ing clue how to play)
Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Varkonyi seems to realize he got lucky and is pretty happy with his life and just playing now.

Moneymaker probably bought his hype at first but has slowly realized he was a fluke and seems frustrated trying to prove otherwise and being unable to so far.

Raymer is a great player and understands variance.

Hachem is a great player but clearly feels a certain sense of entitlement.

Yang, just won it, don't quite know him yet, seems like a nice guy.

Gold is an umittigated douche bag. A horrible player who thinks he's good and feels entitled. The worst of all worlds. I hope he pisses away every cent he won at the ME last year, which is much less than you would think

(12 mil, divided by roughly half because of hte settlement = 6 mil
6 mil, minus the taxes he had to pay, probably 3.5 - 4 mil)
Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM

WHO CARES IF YOU GET KNOCKED OUT ON DAY ONE FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS. YOULL STILL HAVE 11.9 million dollars left over.

Actually, he won't have anywhere near that much. Subtract the 50% he turned over to (I forget his name), and that leaves 6 M. Now subtract the 36% the IRS extorted from him and that leaves 3.84 M. So by your math, he'll only have 3.74 M left. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHO CARES IF YOU GET KNOCKED OUT ON DAY ONE FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS. YOULL STILL HAVE 11.9 million dollars left over.

Actually, he won't have anywhere near that much. Subtract the 50% he turned over to (I forget his name), and that leaves 6 M. Now subtract the 36% the IRS extorted from him and that leaves 3.84 M. So by your math, he'll only have 3.74 M left. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention the money he supposedly was rumored to have donked off in HSP
Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u guys probably didn't see shannon Elizabeth complaining about the other guy when she got rivered, one of the guy said that shannon is old and not hot anymore and they would rather see Kathy liebert naked than her, that pissed Shannon off and called the floorman but unfortunately the floorman agreed with the other guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Is this true?

(btw, I'd like to see both of them naked)
Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

not to mention the money he supposedly was rumored to have donked off in HSP

[/ QUOTE ]

why in the world would you ever EVER go and play with the 7 to 8 best players in the world (excluding a Brian Brandon and Solario, i have no idea what the heck they are doing there) after you just won 12 million dollars at an 8,500 man tournament...you cant get any luckier than that...then to go heads up with the 7 best in the world? thats a total recipe for disaster...doyle will befriend you like a brother for a piece of that pie..stupidity...and not just that, gold is in the OPENING CREDITS with the briefcase of money going to the high stakes pokeroom, like hes the feature player or something...what?

and to end this moneymaker thing, my point is just shut up. as a matter of fact, will all poker players just chill out at the table...the best hand virtually never holds up in multiway pots and many times even if its AA vs. AK or 72 off if you went all in against a bigger stack every time long enough, you will be out of a tournament with absolute certainty. So please will ALL POKER PLAYERS just calm down at the table when someone rivers a flush two pair or a straight even if they hold 3 5 off, it happens. Its a 52 card deck with 5 cards to come. no more friggin huffing puffing and head shaking on EVERY SINGLE HAND. Fold your cards push in the chips and move on. I just got back from AC this weekend and theres more whining in the pokeroom than at a high school girl's bathroom.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Joe Hachem is the worst IMO. Constantly whining about everything ever since his ME victory. It's really quite grating.

Jaime Gold is just an idiot, but he doesn't bother me all that much. At least he admitted to playing terribly this year. Also I think he settled that lawsuit for much less than 6 million.

Chris Moneymaker is a standup guy and OP is way off. Not once this year did he berate anybody but himself. I guess I could see how it might get old to watch, but it's certainly nothing to fault him for.

Greg Raymer is also a classy guy, but some of you seem to be forgetting that he DID come off as a giant baby in the 2006 ME. I found it rather surprising and very out of character for him. Maybe he was just in a bad mood I dunno.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Joe Hachem is the worst IMO. Constantly whining about everything ever since his ME victory. It's really quite grating.

Jaime Gold is just an idiot, but he doesn't bother me all that much. At least he admitted to playing terribly this year. Also I think he settled that lawsuit for much less than 6 million.

Chris Moneymaker is a standup guy and OP is way off. Not once this year did he berate anybody but himself. I guess I could see how it might get old to watch, but it's certainly nothing to fault him for.

Greg Raymer is also a classy guy, but some of you seem to be forgetting that he DID come off as a giant baby in the 2006 ME. I found it rather surprising and very out of character for him. Maybe he was just in a bad mood I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

the original post was even titled "frustrated" poker players...not 'berating' poker players...if it was about berating, i would have written about hellmuth matasow or tony G...the purpose of the post was to voice how i can no longer tolerate all the whining huffing and puffing when things dont go your way (by the way, play alot of pots and things will certainly not go your way all the time jaime)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 AM

You were way off because he didn't complain about his bad luck, he complained about his bad play.