Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Yet another NYC raid

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my question-

am I to assume that if youre playing during a raid youre screwed as to the amount of money you have bought in for or have won? I kinda doubt the cops would let you cash in before leaving...

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, you are correct. The chips and cash are seized as evidence.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the eyes of the law there doesn't need to be a victim to be a crime

While this statement represents the reality of the situation, the concept behind the statement (I'm not saying TT agrees with the concept) is idiotic and needs to be eradicated from a free society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Acvtually most of the victimless crimes are predicated on the idea that there is a victim.

Drug Users become addicts, hurt their families, hurt society etc. Prostitutes aren't voluntarily partici[pating in trade. Gamblers are addicts who are victimized by bookies, they hurt their families and society in general.

I'm not saying I agree with this, just that it isn't that the law doesn't believe that their doesn't need to be a victim, its just that victimhood is defined on false assumptions and wider principlas.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM

The Horse's Mouth just called - here are the details.

Wednesday one room was visited, not raided, to deliver a State served eviction notice. The police were there as protection, and to padlock the room when they left. Nobody was arrested. One person who was assumed arrested was actually held behind as the last man standing while the police did their job.

The other room had a walk through last night. The jig is up, its no secret.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No. Something that has no victims to me is not a crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but when the govt. isn't getting their tax money, are they not being victimized by illegal gambling?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No. Something that has no victims to me is not a crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but when the govt. isn't getting their tax money, are they not being victimized by illegal gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Taxation is theft.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Horse's Mouth just called - here are the details.

Wednesday one room was visited, not raided, to deliver a State served eviction notice. The police were there as protection, and to padlock the room when they left. Nobody was arrested. One person who was assumed arrested was actually held behind as the last man standing while the police did their job.

The other room had a walk through last night. The jig is up, its no secret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad day. Glad I went tuesday.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Well as someone did leave the chips on the table during the raid, I do hope they re-open the NYC club somewhere as they did a good job and provided a comfortable place for quite a few players. The online world is no comparison for me to the brick and mortar establishment and if anyplace needs somewhere to get your game on, NY is it.

All the legal talk is a funny thing is often when I was there across the table would be a judge, a few NYPD (active and retired) or a D.A. We all just want to find a place to play, is that so wrong!?!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sad day. Glad I went tuesday.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-07-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well as someone did leave the chips on the table during the raid, I do hope they re-open the NYC club somewhere as they did a good job and provided a comfortable place for quite a few players. The online world is no comparison for me to the brick and mortar establishment and if anyplace needs somewhere to get your game on, NY is it.

All the legal talk is a funny thing is often when I was there across the table would be a judge, a few NYPD (active and retired) or a D.A. We all just want to find a place to play, is that so wrong!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

for each one that closes, 3 more open!

Wasnt the club in question just opening up a new place (I do not know the location)?

Another month, another raid. No worries, still plenty of poker clubs today and tomorrow. Doubt we will see the day when there will not be 5+ poker clubs in each borough (maybe except SI). Its just sad one of the best is closing down, or atleast, moving out.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for each one that closes, 3 more open!

[/ QUOTE ]

not anymore. I won't elaborate why, but this wont happen anymore like it used to. There are other factors outside of the police issues, the old days are gone.