Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Calling with A9 suited

This question is based on a hand I recently played in Atlantic city at a 1/2 NL table.

Full table: 10 players, medium stack size ~$200. I have apprx $300.

I pick up A9 suited on the button. A strong TAG with approx $140 raises to $17 from 2nd position. In two hours I have only seen this player raise preflop with AQ-AK, JJ-AA. Further, this player makes very good bets against draws (always at least 2/3 the pot, when it is less than this, he has the nut draw or the obvious draws beat) he may or may not be c-betting. He becomes very cautious once a draw hits.

So, here I think that I must connect my preflop decision with what will happen post-flop. Barring a 1-3% chance of a perfect flop (two pair, trip 9s, or all of my suite) the best I can hope for is a 9 out nut flush draw after the flop. So obviously if everyone folds around to me in late position, I'm going to fold because he's not going to give me pot odds and the implied odds probably aren't there.

So my question is this: If several passive players come along for the ride in front of me, can I call this profitably? How should I go about calculating this?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Calling with A9 suited

You'll probably get more responses in the full ring forum.

When several pasive players call, I'll definitely call on the button here. I don't have calculations for you, but I'm pretty sure the pot odds + implied odds, playing in position here, make a call worthwhile SO LONG AS you can keep yourself out of trouble when you just flop one pair.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 PM

I'd just fold. The raise is pretty big given your stack sizes, and you only flop a flush draw like 10% of the time. Obv plenty of of times you flop that draw, you're not going to get the right price to draw to it. Calling off 10% of your effective stack hoping to flop a flush draw seems bad to me.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just fold. The raise is pretty big given your stack sizes, and you only flop a flush draw like 10% of the time. Obv plenty of of times you flop that draw, you're not going to get the right price to draw to it. Calling off 10% of your effective stack hoping to flop a flush draw seems bad to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. I didn't notice before that Villain's stack is only $140. Still, if other passive players' stacks are at least $200, I would call.