Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 PM

Default 10NL Set mining turns to straight and meets Mr. Flush

I'm new to the table and was on a heater from the previous table which had just broken up so no reads or stats on Villain.

It started out innocent enough, looking for a set and it turned into a straight draw - which materialized - along with the flush. The old LHE reflexes were wanting to kick in on the end, but I'm certain I misplayed this along the way. Your blunt honesty is appreciated here...

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $8.85
BB: $2.40
UTG: $20.95
UTG+1: $4.10
MP1: $12.90
MP2: $12.95
Hero (MP3): $10.10
CO: $10.15
BTN: $7.65

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $0.35</font>, Hero calls $0.35, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP2 bets $0.40</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.20</font>, MP2 calls $0.80
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to MP2
<font color="blue">I'm thinking I picked up outs on a rag board which couldn't have possibly hit him other than the FD. I semi-bluff to take pot down now w/outs to come. </font>

Turn: ($3.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.75</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $3.50</font>, Hero calls $1.75
<font color="blue">How bad is this? SSHE and Miller repeatedly talk about seeing Monsters. I call knowing if a 4th club hits I'm gone. </font>

River: ($10.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP2 bets $5.00</font>, Hero???
<font color="blue">Brick! The 4th didn't hit and I said I'd call... But... It's only a half pot bet. Would he make this play with a missed flush? Or is this strictly a value bet? And do you call/fold here?</font>

EN
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: 10NL Set mining turns to straight and meets Mr. Flush

I'd raise it to $1.60 on the flop.

I am actually fairly lost as too what too do on the turn. The MUBS in me says check behind but checking a straight seems pretty weak. I'd be interested in other peoples thoughts.

feck it - To be honest i'd go all in on the turn after he min-raises me. This is NL 10, i am not folding a straight just because there's 3 of the same suit on the board - That could be pretty awful advice though so hopefully other people will chime in with there thoughts.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 10NL Set mining turns to straight and meets Mr. Flush

I make it $2 on the flop because I like some FE with my semi-bluffs. If checked to on the turn I bet 2/3-3/4 pot and call a shove.

If you want a chance to get away from a one card straight just call the flop bet. You're getting decent odds to draw out on him, and frankly might even be ahead. So on the turn the pot would be only $1.60 and I'd tend to call down, betting if checked to, unless villain makes some ridiculous overbet shove or a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] lands on the river.

I prefer the aggressive way of playing. Its higher variance than the passive way to play it, but it fits in my game better based on how I play other hands.

$0.02