Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Flop Decisions

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to NL cash games, and I know my game has a lot of leaks. I have had a lot of success at SNGs online, and I think i carry some bad habbits from my SNG game into my cash game strategy that do not work in this arena...I hope this post doesn't get too long, but I think this thread might start a good discussion so i'm not gonna hold back too much.

One of the main mistakes I think I make is over valuing semi-strong hands on the flop. Overpairs and TPTK seem to give me a lot of trouble, as I'm not used to making a lot of deep stacked post flop decisions. So, I thought i'd post a couple common (very generalized) scenarios i run into playing micro-NL cash games and see what the majority of you guys think about each:

Assumptions:
1. The game is NL25, stacks are always even at $25
2. All villains are unknowns/no PT stats on them.
3. Hero raises pre flop and gets 1 caller in each scenario.
4. Hero's image is TAG (16/12/3)

Scenario 1:
Hero has AK, OOP. Flop is K5J rainbow.
2$ in the pot
Hero bets $1.50
Villain raises to $4.50
Hero.....

Scenario 2:
Hero has QQ, in position. Flop: T64 rainbow.
Pot has 2$
Villain checks
Hero bets 1.50
Villain reraises to 4.50
Hero...

In each scenario,
How often should I be folding?
How often should i be calling?
How often should i be 3betting?

I realize lots of factors influence your decisions here, but i'm trying to limit the discussion to what the "standard" play is in these situations. I know i pay off sets with my top pair way way too often. I always assume the players at low limit cash games are donkeys who are raising me with top pair no kicker or draws or underpairs all the time...I'm making a resolution to myself to not go broke with TPTK ever again...but I can't force myself to make folding my default option in hand 1. Should it be?

Also, what PT stats are beneficial to display on my HUD to help me make these decisions easier once my database starts to get bigger? ie: what stat helps you pinpoint who is raising their big hands, and who is raising more on bluffs/weaker holdings?

Thanks for the help to all who reply, you'll be hearing more from me in the weeks to come as i try to solidify my ring game skills [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Flop Decisions

Too many variables. Against unknowns it can be better to error on the side of caution IMO. I dont think you can ever call a situation a standard, and there is no right/wrong way each time.

Hand 1 I like to call and evaluate > folding > raising. It takes a read on a villan to raise at this point or fold, so I lean towards calling with an unknown. Depending on turn card may b/f, or c/f (depending on betsize).

Hand 2 its easier to find hands that you beat with the board texture, so raising is not necessarily bad against a range of hands, calling in position can be good, and I am not folding ever against an unknown.