Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 02:54 AM

Default Something very weird with my browser

Hi All,

This is crazy. When I open Internet Explorer, it opens 2+2 (my homepage). Works great: I can get around this site fine. But when I try to go to other websites, it either says that the server was not found, or I get an error message that says Internet Explorer could not open the search page. As far as I can tell, Rakebreak.com and 2+2 are the only sites I can visit. What is going on here?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Something very weird with my browser

Is this only happening in IE? Does other stuff work OK - email program, poker, another browser etc?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this only happening in IE? Does other stuff work OK - email program, poker, another browser etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only had one browser on my computer, but I used another computer in the household which has MoZilla, and encountered similar problems (only a handful of sites would load). Eventually, all sites became unavailable, and I rebooted the wireless router, which of course should've been the first thing I thought of, but anyway, it worked. It just confused me that some websites were still available, while others were not.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:36 AM

Does it always do this? Sounds like the DNS is messed up.

I have seen symptoms like this on one of my laptops, reboot should fix it - not sure what the problem was.

Gojacketz
Old 03-11-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it always do this? Sounds like the DNS is messed up.

I have seen symptoms like this on one of my laptops, reboot should fix it - not sure what the problem was.

Gojacketz

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are right about the DNS being the problem, but, if the problem is with his ISP, a reboot may not help. The problem sounds like what would happen if his ISP's DNS is down. Sites he has recently visited are cached on his computer, so they are working. For other sites, it has to hit the DNS and isn't getting an IP.

To OP. From a command prompt. Try nslookup <URL> (leave off the "http://" and the trailing slash and anything else after it). If you get back an IP, DNS is working. If you get an error message, it is likely your ISP's DNS. If you get an IP address back from nslookup, try tracert and ping. This could be a problem with your computer, which a reboot might fix it, but it could likely be a problem with your ISP, and you should call them if it doesn't clear up soon.