Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Flush over Flush on the flop - Can I get away?

I am a new user and this is my first post.
I apologize if I did not follow the guidelines exactly.

Did I make the right call?
Is it the right decision according to ICM?

The table was tight (micro stakes SNG). I did not check the stats for the Villain.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t3725)</font>
UTG (t3275)
<font color="#C00000">MP (t4160)</font>
Button (t725)
SB (t1615)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t600</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t300.

Turn: (t1500) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets t700</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3025</font>, MP calls t2325.

River: (t7550) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t7550

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3d 6d (flush, king high).
MP has 9d 7d (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP wins t7550. </font>
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Flush over Flush on the flop - Can I get away?

I'd shove over his flop min-raise, just calling is losing a lot of value to worse hands and you're letting any diamond get there for cheap.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Im pushing on the flop as well
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Can I say set over set and flush over flush are just bad luck?
Is pushing calling all the right decision unless you are in a situations where you have to play tight on the bubble with another short stack on the verge of busting?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 PM

yes 2 question 1

wtf is question 2
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 PM

About the only flushes I'm ever folding on the bubble are when a 4 flush is on board and I have one flush card like T or under (and most of the higher cards are live) or both my cards make a flush but the board is showing trips meaning a FH is extremely likely.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:33 AM

Ugghh crap post, but since it's ur first don't worry I made crap like this when I first started too. Read FAQ completely
and keep posting you'll get it.

Because often we're playing with stacks that are very short it is hard to let go alot of hands especially without obv reads. You're never getting rid of the hand and the amount of time that he'll rr you there with say K Qd/Jd is huge and why pushing is correct.

This just variance and sometimes you'll be on the worse side of it. I had a hand yesterday where 3 players flopped a flush, luckily I had the nut flush and the other 2 had the 2nd and 4th nut flush. Stick your stack in try to hit ur 1 outer.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:24 AM

Everything looked good until you didn't re-raise the flop. Flush-over-flush is not something you need to worry about avoiding in a tournament where the largest stack is 40 BB and shrinking quickly.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM

Can I say set over set and flush over flush are just bad luck?

Flush over flush isn't bad luck. It happens all the time. Set over set is much less common but still you can sometimes avoid going broke with an under set.

I don't know exactly what I would do here (being OOP really sucks) because you have to have such a huge edge to get the $$$ in. If he always calls a shove you need 63.7% equity for it to be +EV (this is certainly debatable). Of course he might fold but if you assume that he has 66% when he calls, he has to fold over 70% of the time to make it work. Pushing is almost certainly the wrong play unless you suspect that he will call with hands like K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Waiting to see a turn card before deciding what to do is a much better play against a reasonable opponent.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 AM

THis was micro