Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Movie Discussion: Primer

I Netflixed this movie about 6 months ago. Watched it once, thought it was meh; it's one of those time travel movies that you have to go online and read a bunch of threads in order to "get it" (like Donnie Darko etc.) I TiVo'ed it the other night when it was on though to torture my girlfriend with it, and wound up watching it again. I really enjoyed it the second time around, especially knowing the budget and things to look for.

Really excellent movie for a first time writer/director (who also stars in it), but he has nothing in the works. Probably a one hit wonder, seems like the type of guy who had this movie in mind all throughout college (I read he was some sort of physicist major) and now has no fresh ideas. Anyone seen it?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Movie Discussion: Primer

I saw it, found it interesting but ultimately not worth a second viewing...maybe I'll check it out again...
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM

i picked it up on dvd and watched it, liked it, but admit that it is too slow for most movie watchers. Then I watched it again w/ director commentary and was much happier then. The director talks all about the budget, how the actors used their friends and parents for all the extras, and you really appreciate it more after that. This is one of those movies where you have to watch the commentary to understand the ending. Without the commentary I think i would of been lost at the ending. Its kind of a geeks version of what you would do with a time machine.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:36 PM

this movie felt very fresh. i like fresh. really well done for what was, essentially, an amateur production.

didn't find it hard to follow, unless you want to understand all of the scientific theories behind it. just accept what they say and enjoy.

have also, been watching for carruth to do something else. i hope he does. we need more of this kind of stuff.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really excellent movie for a first time writer/director (who also stars in it), but he has nothing in the works. Probably a one hit wonder, seems like the type of guy who had this movie in mind all throughout college (I read he was some sort of physicist major) and now has no fresh ideas. Anyone seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read interviews (will try to dig up some links) where Carruth discusses some possible ideas he wants to do. I remember one was a story about Pythagoras.

EDIT: my google fu is strong: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=i...ews&id=118
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read interviews (will try to dig up some links) where Carruth discusses some possible ideas he wants to do. I remember one was a story about Pythagoras.

EDIT: my google fu is strong: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=i...ews&id=118

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks! that was a good interview.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 PM

I watched Primer a while ago when it first hit cable. I liked it. I was flipping around the channels one day and caught just a bit of it but I was intrigued enough to search it out and watch it all the way through.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 PM

I thought it was interesting and thought provoking, but I didn't "like it". Seemed like the directing and/or editing and/or sequencing was just too confusing and sloppy. I dunno. I'm not saying that they have to dumb it down for us.. well, actually, ya I am saying that.. I had no idea what was going on and I don't think that was entirely my fault, the film could have done a better job of explaining certain things. Plus the lingo was all scientific so that didn't help.

Worth a watch, you'll get the main gist of it but the ending and some scenes really threw me off. No intentions of watching it again.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Probably the best timeline explanation - how anyone figured this out is beyond me. insane...

http://neuwanstein.fw.hu/primer_timeline.html