Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2006, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Tricky spot for me with AK PL 10/20

[ QUOTE ]
Second - and this is more important - a good player will not let you avoid tough decisions. If you are not facing tough decisions often, then you are not playing against talented opposition. Poker is tough decisions. Poker is forcing your opponents to make tough decisions and making tough decisions yourself - correctly!

If your opponents are putting you to tough decisions often and you don't know what to do about it, then you are getting outplayed, plain and simple. If that is the case, then you should probably not be playing with these opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] so why should I play against talented opposition and face tough decisions, when I could easily find another game? Surely you're not saying the majority of online players are "talented" (LOL?).
Old 03-11-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] so why should I play against talented opposition and face tough decisions, when I could easily find another game?

[/ QUOTE ]
One reason to do this would be to improve your decision-making skills with practice. A reason not to do this would be if your primary reason for playing poker was to make money.
[ QUOTE ]
Surely you're not saying the majority of online players are "talented" (LOL?).

[/ QUOTE ]
No, surely I'm not saying that.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 AM

Check. Call his river bet.

It went raise reraise preflop, there is not alot he can have that is drawing very live. This is pretty much a way ahead way behind situation.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check. Call his river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
[ QUOTE ]
It went raise reraise preflop, there is not alot he can have that is drawing very live.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's four-handed and he's a donkey. Yes there is.
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty much a way ahead way behind situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is a way ahead way behind situation? Why should we check in those situations?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:29 AM

For answers to all your questions please read my post again. Failing that, try thinking.

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:30 AM

Interesting discussion if villian was a thinking player. But AR707 is a fish. I would bet 5-600 and probably fold if he raises, especially if he miniraises.
I would expect him to call down with AJ-AQ (he likes to miniraise preflop with broadways). All in on river if it's a blank.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For answers to all your questions please read my post again. Failing that, try thinking.

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]
We are almost always ahead in this situation.

Villain is always drawing live in this situation.

You are suggesting that we check when we are almost certainly ahead and then call a river bet when we will not almost certainly be ahead.

That is really stupid.

We have one pair. Villain will always be drawing live on the turn here.

I know what a way ahead way behind situation is. I was hoping that in explaining it to me you would realize the folly of using that term to describe this situation. However, since you did not, I will have to point it out myself. This is not a way ahead way behind situation. And even if it were, it is usually better to bet in those situations than it is to check and play guessing games.

I am utterly unsurprised to find an asterisk in your title.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you mean all better hands, in which case whether to call or fold to the check-raise depends on how many worse hands he will check-raise and what sort of hands they will be. Now, you say that calling an allin is pretty gross no matter what you do. What does that mean? Either calling or folding is correct. Your job is to figure out which. If you think calling the all-in is pretty gross, then you should probably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i meant was if the ev of calling an allin vs folding to it are pretty close your situation isnt very good and you have lost money by betting no matter what decision you make.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To all the people saying check, please give a good reason to check here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think checking may be right because I am not going to win 2 bets with that hand unles Villain is really stupid. If I check now I can win my bet on the river vs the same hands which pay off now. Additional thing is that I can win a bet from hands which fold to my turn bet (bluffs and weak one pair hand which may think that I am bluffing the river after turn check).
I am very surprised nobody suggested small bet like 1/2 or 1/3 pot... why ?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what i meant was if the ev of calling an allin vs folding to it are pretty close your situation isnt very good and you have lost money by betting no matter what decision you make.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you have only lost money by betting if the situation that you hypothesize comes up very often (that is, he check-raises all-in). I do not think it will. I think villain will call the turn more often than he will fold and fold more often than he will raise. If I am wrong about this then of course a check is better.