Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Default $100NL: Set with river value decision

Villain is 25.8/ 12.4/ 1.43/ 89 hands.
I have been 19/12/ 9 / over the same amount.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($19.65)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($111.10)</font>
SB ($106.80)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($100)</font>
UTG ($131.40)
MP ($99.65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($6.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, Button calls $7.

Turn: ($26.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls $20.

River: ($66.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ?????????
Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: $100NL: Set with river value decision

Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 PM

The line looks like he was drawing to the flush. The 10 raise means he has to commit 7 to a 21 dollar pot to the turn. The turn call is standard for made flush to VB on the river. I would do a blocking bet on the river. If he doesnt have the flush, will probably call if he does and is smart enough will raise you, if not he is not making anymore money off you.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 AM

So you bet about $20? leaving us $45 behind to call into a $140 pot if he shoves. And you would fold that?

Im not sure about that really, block bets are so weak.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM

I would shove.

Also, raise the flop a bit bigger. Like your turnplay. He has an ace alot.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Bet as much as he'll call. Many times he has AxKd here, which is why he called turn. Get as much money in as you can, and be happy about it.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM

First off, I almost never choose to check raise the flop when I rip off a set. I want to get as much money in the pot as quickly as I can so I can take the villain to value town on later streets. If you do choose to c/raise, however, you need to bet more than you did. Forcing the villain to call $7 more into a $19.5 pot isn't that tough of a call for them (assuming they are on the flush draw). That being said, I really like the turn bet of $20. I think it keeps you on the offensive, and if he chooses to come over top you can still get away (although I think a majority of the time he does this he has AKd, so keep that in mind).

On this particular river, however, given the way you played the hand, I think you need to seriously consider check/calling. By checking here after showing strength on the flop and turn, you are giving away the fact that you do not have a flush. However, your set still beats virtually all of the villain's non-flush holdings. Therefor, I think you will get some additional value out of hands that will fold the river if you bet into them but will bet out into you bluffing the flush (AXh).

This is a hand where I'm perfectly fine winning a $66 pot without confrontation, given the way the streets progressed, so a check behind by a weaker hand doesn't bother me too much. I find it hard to believe that an AK would call a river bet here, so really I think you're only getting value from an AJ when you lead the river. Best to try to induce a bluff by feigning weakness, in my opinion. Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I almost never choose to check raise the flop when I rip off a set. I want to get as much money in the pot as quickly as I can so I can take the villain to value town on later streets. If you do choose to c/raise, however, you need to bet more than you did. Forcing the villain to call $7 more into a $19.5 pot isn't that tough of a call for them (assuming they are on the flush draw). That being said, I really like the turn bet of $20. I think it keeps you on the offensive, and if he chooses to come over top you can still get away (although I think a majority of the time he does this he has AKd, so keep that in mind).

On this particular river, however, given the way you played the hand, I think you need to seriously consider check/calling. By checking here after showing strength on the flop and turn, you are giving away the fact that you do not have a flush. However, your set still beats virtually all of the villain's non-flush holdings. Therefor, I think you will get some additional value out of hands that will fold the river if you bet into them but will bet out into you bluffing the flush (AXh).

This is a hand where I'm perfectly fine winning a $66 pot without confrontation, given the way the streets progressed, so a check behind by a weaker hand doesn't bother me too much. I find it hard to believe that an AK would call a river bet here, so really I think you're only getting value from an AJ when you lead the river. Best to try to induce a bluff by feigning weakness, in my opinion. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well any hand bar a flush is checking behind the river here with showdown value i think. Top pair or whatever isnt going to bluff the river with showdown value, anything less than that i find it hard to imagine would still be in the hand.

Yeah the flop raise is too small, i was in stupid mode(thanks to people open folding whenever i flopped a set)