Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:59 PM

Default NL50: JJ OOP after cold calling

What to do after the minreraise?
Im also curious about how do u usually play this type of hand on the flop. Check/raise? Frontbet(and what if getting reraised)? Or is this play good?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $51.55
Hero (BB): $50.75
UTG: $51.60
MP: $48.35
CO: $88.85
BTN: $137.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $2.50</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $2.00

Flop: ($5.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $4.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00

Turn: ($13.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $16.00</font>, Hero ??
Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: NL50: JJ OOP after cold calling

I 3bet pf.
I call turn.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Any reads on the villain?? would be helpful, you played this very passively though, not good. You have no idea where you stand

3 Bet PF and raise flop = good start
Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM

It is extremely important that you 3bet your large holdings preflop when you will be OOP during the postflop action in order to prevent situations just like this. Since you didn't provide any information on the villain, it's hard to get a feel for what he's opening for a raise. However, by only flat calling the PF bet, you are losing a prime opportunity to help narrow his range (or even pick up a few BB's if he opts to fold out).

I would tend to make it around $7 or so in this particular instance. Raising the villain up preflop serves 2 purposes: 1.) it signifies that your holding is strong 2.) it helps narrow his holdings to those strong enough to withstand a 3bet, which will be valuable information on the flop. If he 4bets you preflop, give up the $7 and be happy to fold to his QQ+.

With the flop falling the way it did, I would lead out for about 2/3 pot, which would be around $10. If he pops back over top, I think it's a fairly easy fold. If he flat calls behind, you have an interesting decision on the turn. The 2 is a safe card, and you're really only losing to a QQ-AA, which would more than likely 4bet you preflop (yes, sets and 67 will have you beat as well, but the likelihood of those holdings calling a PF 3bet are smallish). I think you'd get a fair amount of value pushing the rest of your stack on the turn (your remaining stack is roughly a full PSB), as the villain will turn over 88-TT, AK, or flush draw as often as the QQ-AA.

Hope this helps, and any comments on how I would have played it are appreciated as well. There's always more than one way to play a hand!
Old 09-05-2007, 02:55 PM

Raise flop!, if he leads out turn I'd just call or fold depending on your read,probably try to see a cheap showdown at that point.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:55 PM

i would reraise prelfop. JJ is about the worst hand u could have oop. And i would def call this on the turn. Keep in mind what ur opponent thinks u have. If i was villan id raise u here with any over pair and any diamond draw. Ur hand, even though it can easily be beat here, is alot stronger than uve represented thus far. So id def call this turn raise.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM

3 bet pre flop, play from there.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Question: Do you play ANY strong hand this way? Float oop and lead turn looks pretty weak :]

If you do play strong hands this way then I guess it's ok.

I agree with the people saying to 3bet PF, unless the villain is very tight.

Hard to tell you what you should do on turn in this hand without knowing villain at all.