Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: BlockBuster or NetFlix?

i have done blockbuster since early 2005 and cant complain too much. once one never showed up and once one came in 2 pieces but they were cool about both. i dont really notice how fast the turnaround is because i dont check my mail in my apt building more than twice a week so i cant help u there.

however, i bought my dad blockbuster as a gift in july and he promptly canceled it because it was so slow (at least a week he said).

as for titles, i hear netflix has more randoms, but i've gotten a few obscure ones off blockbuster but there is a wait...although when it was my turn they just sent it even though i hadnt returned my previous one so that was cool.

i also have never once used the email print out for a free rental at the store in the 30+ months i've had it...my buddy does, but im just saying just cuz its there doesnt mean u will actually use it. maybe because i dont have a printer...i dunno.

lastly, i started with the 3 at a time and that was a huge waste so now i do 1 at a time unlimited per month. i dunno if u got a family or just a significant other or if its just you, but i doubt you will watch as many dvd's as u thought u might...
Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 PM

I used to sit on the netflix side of this discussion but trading movies in-store is pretty sick. If you are only going to watch 4-6 a week and don't need/want the extra movies you get trading in-store i'd still go netflix, otherwise go blockbuster.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:11 PM

I like how Netflix, when you go to report a broken disc gives you these options.

[ ] DVD was broken, damaged, or not playable

[ } I broke the DVD and would like to pay for it

What is the over/under on people that have paid for a broken DVD?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 PM

I went with blockbuster. I just have the unlimited one out at a time, two store exchanges per month plan ($10). Decent enough. As long as I manage one a week and use the in-store exchanges, I think it's worth it.

Typically my DVDs arrive such that if I mail one back on Tuesday, I have a new one Thursday or Friday. Which is pretty much as fast as I can expect. I got screwed over labor day. Really thought I'd get one saturday, but unfortunately it didn't arrive till today.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 PM

What about Amazon, don't they do a DVD rental service in the US?
Had good experience with their UK service, except that they don't have an unlimited rentals option.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:41 PM

I've had Netflix for two years. Only once had a problem with a wrong disc, which they quickly fixed. Turnaround for me (shipping to Baton Rouge, then back to Shreveport) is about 3 days. Plus I never have to leave my house. Well for a movie, so that's nice.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Has anyone tried the watch it now option, or whatever they call it, with Netflix?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Blockbuster and its not even close. here is why.

say you get 3 movies at a time plan (somewhere around 17.99 a month or whatever).

advantages of Blockbuster over the same plan at netflix.

When you rent from netflix, say the 3 movies arrive and after you watch them you return them all together. you gotta wait until the movies get back to netflix and then they ship you next 3.

in Blockbuster, say you recieve the 3 movies. after watching them, simply return to your local blockbuster store. For each movie you get to rent a movie free (so 3 free movies). in a day, when the system records that you have returned your original 3 movie, the blockbuster sends you 3 more from your queue.

so in essence in approximately same time, you are renting 6 movies at a time and not 3. i was a member of netflix for a long time but once i started blockbuster program, i cancelled netflix for this reason.

more movies for the buck.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 PM

How long can you actually watch 12+ movies a week for?

Given comparable service levels I'd go with Netflix. Blockbuster is basically pure evil IMO.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone tried the watch it now option, or whatever they call it, with Netflix?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried it about 6 months ago shortly after they rolled it out. Selection was pretty bad at the time but the movies loaded quickly with no problems buffering. Video quality is good, I ran the video from my laptop to my HD projector using a DVI-HDMI cable and video quality was at or better than that of digital cable.