Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Againts a calling station...

I'm in the dark time and time again againts calling stations.

(This is an example, so please feel free to change, alter and abuse. This is only an attempt to desribe the situation i become lost in.)

Ok, lets say i raise 4X the bb preflop with TT from UTG. Get one call from the CO who is a calling station.
He's at like 55% vip and 3% pfr.
He folds to a c-bet 15% of the time on the flop, and folds to a turn bet 0%.

Flop comes out and it's Q72. I feel like i'm ahead here often enough to make this a good place to bet.

The pot size is 9.5 BBs, i bet around 7-9.5'ish BBs.
He being the calling station does? you guessed it, Calls.

So the turn is a J. Ok, i have no new information, and a new over card. So....here's a situation i always go ummm, bet for value? Umm, check/call?

I havn't defined his aggresive %, and i know this, but lets just call him passive, but that doesn't mean he won't put a bet out there if it gets checked to him.

Ok, that's one example.

Lets take that same hand, but now lets bet that turn and get called.

River is an Ace.

Now what?!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Againts a calling station...

I usually check-call or check-fold the turn depending on the size of the bet (and reads, naturally). Don't wanna play a big pot with those cards. I always, 100%, bet that flop. And will bet every street (pretty lightly, though) if no new over cards come.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 PM

On the turn, if Mr. Calling station bets when we check to him I'm almost always folding... you're going to have to call a river bet more often than not and you're rarely going to be good against his range, I think...

That said.. if we decide to bet the turn, and we get yet another call... I am turbo check/folding to an ace on the river against a calling station..we're definitely almost NEVER good on the river if we've CBet two streets and there are three overs to our pair...
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM

What you are playing against a guy that doesnīt fold is showdown poker, and that is a much higher variance game. Villain will typically have something like 35% equity pf and that means he is going to win plenty of pots with bottom pair and whatnot. You will just have to be better at exploiting your edge. Donīt get too attached to your superiour starting hands because they will be beat very very often.