Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 01:27 AM

Default What do you do with small pocket pairs?

I tend to fold small pocket pairs such as 55 44 33 22 facing a raise in low limit NL cash games, however I'm wondering what others do with them. Is it worth cold calling with no other callers in front of you (lousy pot odds to flop a set, but maybe huge implied odds?) I guess what I'm asking is, do you cold call 3x standard raises with small pairs with no other callers in front of you or is it better to just fold em. I'm not talking about the 40% flop percentage games with a few fish in them, but the standard 25-30% flop percent games that are becoming the standard lately. I've noticed that even when I flop trips often times the players are so tight now that I'm not getting paid off enough to justify cold calling small pairs based on implied odds alone. Any thoughts on this?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: What do you do with small pocket pairs?

Uhhh...yea call most of the time as long as stacks are deep enough.

You need to on average the times you flop a set make 11.7 times the investment that you called pre-flop with your low pocket pair.

So if you can do that then call and if you can't then don't.

However, perhaps you can sometimes win even if you don't flop a set and perhaps sometimes you would want to 3bet pre-flop.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh...yea call most of the time as long as stacks are deep enough.

You need to on average the times you flop a set make 11.7 times the investment that you called pre-flop with your low pocket pair.

So if you can do that then call and if you can't then don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to use a rule of calling raises if it cost me no more than 7.5% of the chips I could win. So as you said if the stacks are deep enough my 7.5% rule would equal a call but if the raiser is thin stacked his raise may be 10% or more of his stack meaning I would fold the hand. I guess this would tie in with your 11.7x the investment you call with preflop.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 AM

assuming you play 6 max: I raise any pocket pair any position if I'm first in. I tend to raise 1 limper from the CO/BTN, call 2 or more limpers. most of the time call on the SB, check BB.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 AM

I should have stated that I am talking about full ring game not 6 max.

If I'm first in in position I would certainly raise any pair, but what I'm concerned with is when someone raises in front of me and nobody else calls, so my straight pot odds to flop a set are awful, but implied odds may be worth the call.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:57 AM

then u should just move on over the Full Ring Thread ... how can u miss it ... IT'S RIGHT BELOW THIS ONE
Old 09-04-2007, 02:03 AM

i don't have any full ring experience but in their books both phil gordon and doyle brunson advice to fold those small pocket pairs in early position.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:06 AM

1st thing of all, avoid playing 25-30 flops seen% tables, there are just too many way better tables out there, find some of those. 25-30 is just too tight compared to what u can easily find.
I just saw u play full ring, so Im not sure whats the average there, but I guess its pretty much the same.

Now to ur question, if raised 3x and my opponent has a decent stack, its an insta call at least all the time, from time to time I will be raising, but definetely call.
If you flop your set, you will have an amazingly disguised and powerful hand to stack anybody.