Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a sports writer!

A stupid question is a stupid question no matter what your profession is.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A stupid question is a stupid question no matter what your profession is.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you Sir...STILL don't get it. Try starting at the beginning, reading again and undestanding the distinction we're trying to point out to you.

Need help? PM me
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Murph,

I am going to defend Barry Larkin here and say you should have known better than to try to talk to him at that time. It couldn't wait a day? Anyone that has any heart for the game is probably not gonna answer a question like that at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand why you would think that...and it's natural unless you know the business...however, we were an afternoon paper and we would like like a**clown idiots if we sat on that for a day bc it would be printed two days later.

Plus, you can't sit on something that happens for a day...it's not the nature of the business. Good, bad, or indifferent, you have to get the story after it happens and get it printed. People want the information at their fingertips ... not 2-3 days later.

Honestly, Barry - being as established with the media as he was - should have known that was coming and should have handled it with more class. Bottom line, he was pissed bc they lost and he knew I was new, so he took it out on me.

These guys get lauded constantly when they are doing great things...they need to be men when they do something not great and get asked about it. See Sean Casey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is that sportswriters should be able to write about an event without needing stupid quotes from players that have no impact on the piece. Really, what did you expect to get from Larkin there that would enhance your story? This need for a player quote on every inane event related to the game merely proves how unimaginative and lazy sportwriters have gotten today. Frank DeFord doesn't need player quotes to write the most insightful sports stories around.

"Larkin now has more ABs without a grand slam ever. "Yeah, it's true but oh well", said Larkin." WOW, freaking awesome amalysis -- thanks for insights, Mr. Sportswriterman!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am befuddled with how many holes you have in your statement here. And I'm tired of defending something that I know and, honestly, you don't.

I attemt to interview Larkin because I'm told to by me editor and it's a newsworthy event (whether you or anyone else thinks it is or not).

I ask him questions to make the sidebar better/juicier. Now, that you don't understand the value a quote has is beyond my comprehension..but I digress. Now, if he in a friendly manner answers...I may get something, I may not. In fact, he may "No comment" me.

However, there's a chance - because I asked the question - that I JUST MIGHT get something worth using. Something that takes my quoteless sidebar and turns it into a richer sidebar bc Larkin commented on it with something worthwhile.

If I don't get anything, or he tells me to f myself, then I don't have a quote and maybe the bar gets scratched...but, at least I tried, which..as a reporter..is MY JOB.

This is as basic as I can get it ... and, well, I get that you love sports and think you know more than I do ... but, as far as the basics of journalism ... you don't.

This is getting extremely irritating...ESPECIALLY when there have been other posters trying to explain that I am, in fact, right.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi op, I havent read all the replies in this thread so just tell me if I have repeated a question.

I have just graduated in Classics from uni in England and am looking to get into journalism. I have done bits and pieces for the Guardian and the Racing Post but haven't been offered anything long term. I am looking to write sports features and not just report. How long into a journalism career do you get to write sports features as it seems to be pretty competitive?

Also have you written any sports novels and do you think you have the talent? Harlan Coben is a must read for me, combining generic thriller with sports...

Many thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

ChuckyB pretty much nailed it - write, write, write, write, write. Basically, whore yourself for the forseeable future as a freelancer and build a name/reputation for yourself. You'll continue - with every piece - to learn more about your ability and the industry and, eventually, you'll figure out if it's worth the grind.

My suggestion...pick something you're mainly interested in, go to a publication in your area that focuses on this and offer to work as a stringer/freelancer. Odds are they'll take you, especially if you show them prior work and appear to be a normal functioning non-psychotic person.

I started doing features - usually off-the-beaten path ones at first - about a year after I started really putting in hours with the newspaper I was stringing for. Once I showed I could handle bottom type features, then they slowly elevated me up the ladder.

You really have to show you're capable, that you can write and interview, before editors will consider you when it comes to features. Again, this goes back to ChuckyB's advice (and mine echoing him), to WRITE, WRITE, WRITE, WRITE, WRITE.

In answer to your second question..no, I haven't done any novels. While I think I have the ability to do so, I don't think I have the creativity and tenacity necessary to attack an endeavor like that to do it precisely as it should be done. Honestly, that very fact was one of the reasons I left the business...I realized what my limitations were and weren't.

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any other questions or would like me to elaborate.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 AM

Hi dude

Obviously in your job, you heard gossip, rumours and no doubt speak to people in an "off the record" fashion.

How did you go about getting all the interesting stuff you hear in that manner into credible news items without losing any trust from your original sources? Did you also ever feel that people would tell you stuff in the express hope it would somehow "come out"...in which case are you using info from players/coaches etc, or are they using you?

Cheers for any reply