Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Default NLCASH - Stack size, when to rathole?

Any ideas on when it's time to walk away and tuck the profits, even if it's just to move to another table and start over?

I usually get up if I get around 2.5x - 3x the buy-in, but my best day ever was when I just stayed at a table and ran up over 11x.

Should I stick it out because of the advantage over smaller stacks, even when they buy-in full?

-JFB
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: NLCASH - Stack size, when to rathole?

If you think that you are better than your opponent, then you shouldn't leave the table.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:00 PM

I don't like to have a set amount I'm going to walk away with. If I get a big stack there's usually a reason, and I like to stick around and keep playing against the bad players. It's nice to have a big stack, be able to outplay your opponents, and have enough to survive a bad beat or two and still keep going. Of couse there are a few points to keep in mind.

1. If you are one of only 2-3 big stacks at the table, you usually want to avoid getting tied up with those players in big pots with marginal hands. For example if I have $2000, a TAG has $2000, and everyone else has $300 (extreme I know) then I will be willing to lay down a hand like TPTK or even two-pair against the other big stack.

2. If you got your stack simply by getting super lucky in a huge pot and you know the rest of the players are better than you. In this case just fold for an hour or so then cash out and go before you lose your lucky winnings.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Usually I don't quit people if I think they are bad (and I only play people that I deem to be bad) so I try not to quit them at any point. Sometimes though if we both get to 300BB+ and the guy is very aggro I may quit him since the variance will probably be something I don't want to deal with, but theoretically you shouldn't quit them at any point.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:19 PM

so you would rather have 100$ against an opponent w/ 200$ on a .5/1 table than having 1000$ against the same opponent?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think that you are better than your opponent, then you shouldn't leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. The only decisions that should influence your choice to leave the table are your composure, your villain's composure, his fishiness... If you feel comfortable playing a villain, stay as long as you can! If he is losing against you, even better! He is waiting to get his money in as bad as possible.