Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: List all things that make a home poker game good , or better

[ QUOTE ]
Please, explain to me why you won't leave me alone. Is it because I don't type proper like you? Are you mad? lmfao. I mean what do you want me to do. If this is it please let me know because im just commenting and you are just complaining. Im not sure i get why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posts are unreadable and foul up an otherwise interesting thread.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 PM

The no fooling around is lame. By the end of the night, if we aren't drunk, yelling at each other, and acting like idiots, I consider the night a failure.

Not an essential, but nice to have:
video games for post-bustouts (if playing tournies.)

Snacks: there aren't many snacks that are card/chip friendly. Pretzels fit the bill, but I don't like them much. Here's what I consider the perfect home game snack: goldfish. I buy giant cartons of them, and put out plastic cups. You can fill a cup and basically drink them. Even if you do use your hands, they are non-greasy and fairly clean.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 PM

I think a good thing is a host who is consistent with his rulings.

TV, would be a distraction, but who wouldn'ty have one on during football season on a Sunday? I think if the volume is off, it is less distracting.

I run donkaments with up to 30 players and I have no lap top or stuff like that other than a white board for sign ups, posting blind schedule and pay out structure.

Personally, I don't think a proffesional environment means a stoic one. I've never been to a game where there wasn't some light hearted kidding. I think the OP meant no letting a wife tell her hubby host that it is late and all must leave, or not having consistent rules.

I'm surprised no one said a hot chick to serve cocktails. I was a bachelor party/ tournament like that and it was cool, but distracting cause they were strippers doing what strippers do.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:05 PM

Start on time if a tournament. I give bonus chips 10% to 20% for people who are there on time.

Donuts!

Good ventilation - bunch of guys (usually) drinking fizzy drinks for a few hours .. can get rank.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please, explain to me why you won't leave me alone. Is it because I don't type proper like you? Are you mad? lmfao. I mean what do you want me to do. If this is it please let me know because im just commenting and you are just complaining. Im not sure i get why?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's trying to explain that it's almost impossible to understand your posts - because they are unintelligible.

You've got a real problem. You need to address it, especially if you're a young man. Life will be long and hard if you're unable to communicate at a basic level. Unfortunately, that's your current situation.

You may now proceed to insult me for trying to help you out.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant imagine running a 30 person 3 table tourney without software to track it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's talk- I do it every month
Old 09-01-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Life will be long and hard if you're unable to communicate at a basic level especially on a discussion board such as this

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posts are unreadable

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, this post was a decent improvement. Hopefully he continues in this trend.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The no fooling around is lame. By the end of the night, if we aren't drunk, yelling at each other, and acting like idiots, I consider the night a failure.

Snacks: there aren't many snacks that are card/chip friendly. Pretzels fit the bill, but I don't like them much. Here's what I consider the perfect home game snack: goldfish. I buy giant cartons of them, and put out plastic cups. You can fill a cup and basically drink them. Even if you do use your hands, they are non-greasy and fairly clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT... I swear by Goldfish. You can buy them in bulk at Costco, they aren't greasy and won't mess up a good table, and 95% of people like them...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 PM

As far as #5 (professional atmosphere), I think a home game can be both relaxed and fun, but still run smoothly (not sure if "professional" is the right adjective)...

I think the things to try and keep orderly are things that slow down the game -- i.e. guys splashing the pot (makes it hard for other players to follow the action and creates confusion), people wearing headphones or sunglasses who can't keep up with the action (I don't want either types at my home game), or people who want to stack and count chips instead of dealing or shuffling when its their turn...