Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 02:54 AM

Default A (very) belated poobah post

Hello all,

This is my belated poobah post. Some of you know me from back in the day, though most of my pals have moved into the SSNL/MSNL realms. For those that dont know me, I was very active in the SSNL forums of old (before the micro split). I was a solid player, steadily moving up in stakes, posting a healthy winrate, etc. Then I hit a brutal, awful, gut wrenching downswing. How bad? Imagine every bad beat story you've ever heard, then roll them into one. I couldnt win a pot. I was a victim of the most outrageous suckouts you could imagine. I was always a very calm player and I found myself berating people constantly for their moronic plays, as they raked my chips over and over. I refused to move down when my bankroll dictated that I do. Finally, I called it quits. I was moving, getting ready to go on my 3rd military deployment and I thought it was a good time to quit the game. I left 100 bucks in my FTP account.

During my deployment, several regular NLHE games started up. Id walk past and maybe even watch for a few minutes. But I never pulled up a chair, my ego still severely bruised. Finally someone convinced me. I had a very good night and more importantly, I was having fun. I've been home a few days and have already started using FTP again. I'm playing in the 10$ games and having a blast.

So, I'm sure some of you are wondering what the heck the point of that trite little story was. It's pretty simple really: If you arent having fun, stop playing. And I dont mean dont play for over a year like I did. The reason I did that is because I was so burnt from not taking a break. But if you have a bad day or a bad week, take a break. If you think its not affecting your play, you are probably wrong. If you are getting bored with the usual grind, set a buyin aside and use it to unleash your inner LAG some night.

That may not be the best poobah post ever. I just hope that there are 1 or 2 of you that read this and it helps you avoid my travails.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: A (very) belated poobah post

Solid post; I think a lot of us(myself included) just get caught up in the grind and stop enjoying it sometimes.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:38 AM

Agreed. Grinding can get very boring and you start to slip in your range of hands and standard plays. I hate when you feel like you are almost obligated to play because that is what you always do when you sit down at your computer.

The best feeling is when you take a break for a day or two and you WANT to grind, when you sit down at the virtual felt and you feel fresh and are having fun.

Good post.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:01 AM

tl;dr

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

nh vulture.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM

THanks for the responses. KR, well said on feeling like you have to grind.

AJ,
Piss off [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 AM

good one
Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Totaly know the feeling!
I had quit for a week or something like that and now I'm playing less tables, making more profit and having more fun!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Velcome back Vulture [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

nh!

Hope you'll hang out here in the dungeon some more !
Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Grinding can get very boring and you start to slip in your range of hands and standard plays. I hate when you feel like you are almost obligated to play because that is what you always do when you sit down at your computer.

The best feeling is when you take a break for a day or two and you WANT to grind, when you sit down at the virtual felt and you feel fresh and are having fun.

Good post.

[/ QUOTE ]

feeling like you have to play. i know i suffer from this, everytime I'm at my computer I figure I mise a few hands, which is terrible terrible stuff.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 PM

nh
kind of short for a pooh bah post though ----> write another one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
nh though