Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Line check with AQ

Opponent is unknown. On the turn I was going to check anyway, so I called his small bet. Am I good often enough on the river?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $32.49
BB: $50.00
UTG: $170.39
Hero (CO): $52.00
BTN: $49.25

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls $2.00

Flop: ($5.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5.00</font>, UTG calls $5.00

Turn: ($15.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $3.00</font>, Hero calls $3.00

River: ($21.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $19.50</font>, Hero...

Dumle
Old 09-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Line check with AQ

Doubt it.

His line looks really strong.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:40 AM

I never know what to do here. Straight draw just got there too...I'd probably dump it.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 AM

I figured. Anyway, I called and he showed 97 for the straight. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dumle
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 AM

Would anyone consider raising on the turn since his small blocking bet might indicate he's looking to see the river cheaply (as he was in this case)...?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 AM

Depends if villain block bets with draws + nuts.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone consider raising on the turn since his small blocking bet might indicate he's looking to see the river cheaply (as he was in this case)...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought about it. However, there's only two good draws that he can realistically have here, 57 and 97, and I think, despite the turn bet, that a majority of his range is composed of hands that I don't want to fold out with a raise.

Dumle
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought about it. However, there's only two good draws that he can realistically have here, 57 and 97, and I think, despite the turn bet, that a majority of his range is composed of hands that I don't want to fold out with a raise.

Dumle

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to charge him for his draws AND extract value from worse hands.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumle

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to charge him for his draws AND extract value from worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I just think that calling turn and betting (or calling) river will extract more against his range of hands. And since there are so few good draws that he can have, the equity lost when he has a draw is more than made up when he bluffs river/calls down light. I may be wrong, though. What range of hands do you put him on?

Dumle
Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 AM

The first thing I notice is that villians stack is 170. Thats probably a decent player who takes the game seriously. Most players will cash out way before 170 and start at a new table. I'd search for his name to see if he was multi tabling, but im pretty sure about it already. 170 stacks are rare and almost always one of the regular grinders.

That turn bet is so strange. Its either a block-bet or somebody faking a block bet to make you raise. The board isnt very co-ordinated so I would think the latter is more likely, although you dont see that play very often at NL50.
I dont know if I'd re-raise or just call. Tough choice.

Im pretty sure I would have folded the river, but thats easy to say now that we know the result. A good player will almost never make that river bet as a bluff on NL50. I think I'd even fold against a normal stack player because there was few draws, and one out of the 2 got there. In my experience, pot sized river bets in big pots are rarely bluffs. Bluffs are usually 1/3-1/2 of the pot.

BTW, since you called and got to see that he in fact made a block bet on the turn, make sure to make a note about it on the player. I'd write "made 1/5 block bet on turn w OESD".

EDIT:
I agree with Dumle's (planned) turn check. It induces bluffs, keeps the pot under control, and makes your opponents more likely to call a river bet with a weak hand. Many players call on the flop with a weak hand, planning to fold to a turn bet if they dont improve, and then call on the river because you showed weakness. You need to show weakness to induce bluffs too.