Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: small ball at 5-10$ sngs????

I was talking about just for the last few days. I think maybe you guys are thinking I'm playing this a lot differently than I am. I"m still betting large enough to protect my hand, when it NEEDS to be protected. I'm only really making smaller bets when I think the other player is weak. I was overbetting pots too much and not getting enough value for big hands. In the late stages it always comes down to pushing but this is more for the mid level/bubble. Remember these are 5-10$ sngs on bodog. The players arent the greatest.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Re: small ball at 5-10$ sngs????

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking about just for the last few days. I think maybe you guys are thinking I'm playing this a lot differently than I am. I"m still betting large enough to protect my hand, when it NEEDS to be protected. I'm only really making smaller bets when I think the other player is weak. I was overbetting pots too much and not getting enough value for big hands. In the late stages it always comes down to pushing but this is more for the mid level/bubble. Remember these are 5-10$ sngs on bodog. The players arent the greatest.

[/ QUOTE ]

But see, that is the entire point! You can beat those players by various strategies, and your smallball strategy might very well be viable too. BUT:

1) You will have a hard time beating higher level sngs if you ever want to move up, might as well start practicing an optimal sng strategy now.

2) you might miss value by not taking ev+ edges because you feel that your edge is greater than it really is.