Stack sizes:
UTG: t1050
UTG+1: t1030
MP1: t3110
CO: t1160
Button: t5060
SB: t610
Hero: t1480

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to t160</font>, MP1 calls t160 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t280)</font>, CO calls t160 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t440)</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls t80 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t600)</font>.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t680, 4 players)

I call preflop here right? he only doubles the blind, and a lot of people are jumping in, so I figure "why not" if its just another 80, already being in the bb
then on the flop,
lead?
check/call?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: $6 top pair decent kicker in multiway pot

Check/fold. If you're calling preflop, you're looking for two pair or better (or a very good draw like an OESFD) to continue when there are three opps seeing the flop.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/fold. If you're calling preflop, you're looking for two pair or better (or a very good draw like an OESFD) to continue when there are three opps seeing the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

if those are the only sorts of hands I am looking to make, is this call preflop -EV?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:56 AM

It's close between checking and evaluating, probably going AI to any bet other than the PFR, or just shoving on the flop. I would probably check.
Calling preflop is fine but you have to know what to do when you get a flop like this if you are going to call.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if those are the only sorts of hands I am looking to make, is this call preflop -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a question of implied odds to me. Can't remember the exact stats, but from memory you're about 4-5% to hit two pair or better (or an OESFD) on the flop so at a minimum you need to be able to win 20-25x the chips you need to call preflop to give you correct implied odds. If there was just one opp, you'd then need to add on some more to take into account the times that opps don't stack off if you hit. Since there are three opps in this hand, that increases the chance that somebody will stack off.

In this case you need to call off 80 chips to see a pot of 600, plus if you double up once you can win a total of 2000 chips. There's always a chance that you more than double up, so I think you do have implied odds to call here.

Of course this ignores those times when less than two pair is sufficient to win the pot but I think that's counterbalanced by those times when you do flop two pair or better and stack off anyway.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:17 AM

Fold preflop, you'll like it.

As played, your hand ca only lose you chips in a 4 way pot. c/f