Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Let\'s talk about depression/attempted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh I forgot to mention after one night with me my roommate jumped off the Golden Gate bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty hard to take you seriously after this part. OTOH, you just might be as messed up as you sound. If so I'd be calling the suicide prevention line right about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather you try a little harder to take me seriously.

It is a fact that the day I moved to Cali and went in the place my roomy jumped off the Golden Gate bridge. But since we had only said a few words to eachother I feel pretty confident I had nothing at all to do with it.

So maybe it's my bad/dry sense of humor that's throwing you off. Had I known the guy was real depressed etc I would have done anything I could to save his life.

Sorry for the bad taste.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh I forgot to mention after one night with me my roommate jumped off the Golden Gate bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty hard to take you seriously after this part. OTOH, you just might be as messed up as you sound. If so I'd be calling the suicide prevention line right about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather you try a little harder to take me seriously.

It is a fact that the day I moved to Cali and went in the place my roomy jumped off the Golden Gate bridge. But since we had only said a few words to eachother I feel pretty confident I had nothing at all to do with it.

So maybe it's my bad/dry sense of humor that's throwing you off. Had I known the guy was real depressed etc I would have done anything I could to save his life.

Sorry for the bad taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, then. You know what needs to be done, so get the help you've got to have. Best of luck, I hope everything gets better for you.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Are you on any medications at present?

Are you seeing a psychiatrist and / or psychologist?

You mentioned your daughter, how many dependents do you have? what ages are they?

Are you in a relationship?

What my questions boil down to is are you seeking help, do you have any carers/support structure, and if you were to die would you leave behind any vulnerable others?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:07 PM

this story was an account of 12 years ago, i'm sure he'll finish the story
Old 09-02-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this story was an account of 12 years ago, i'm sure he'll finish the story

[/ QUOTE ]

12 years eh, thank christ, that's a good sign
Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM

It was a 357 (347 was a typo)

Cliff notes at bottom

So since I was the defenition of steady I end up getting my GF pregnant. I'm like WTF I guess I have to get a job. So I become a BJ dealer. It's decent pay and the only thing I could think of to do fast.

The only thing bad about it was after work I'd drink all night instead of go home to my (now) wife. The work wasn't too steady so I got a job in a salry position. It was less than BJ but it was a steady paycheck with insurance.

The marriage was tough from the start. We just didn't get along. So I drank and we argued. Next thing ya know I'm divorced (noone saw that coming huh?)

Well I fought so hard to keep my son (my gf wanted anabortion) and I loved him so much. But I also loved drinking. I took it easy on nights I had him. But made up for it on nights I didn't. My depression was in and out but I knew I was playing with fire with the alcohol.

So I woke up one morning and said "I'll never drink again". The year or so after that I never really had any problems with depression. I thought I had it beat. I decided it was all from the alcohol.

A few more years go by and I start to feel like crap again. I said F it I'm gonna go see a psychiatrist. I call up all of themwithin my insurance network. The fastest any one of em would see me was a friggin MONTH! Well for me anyway I go in and out of depression. I want to see one whaen I want to see one. I don't want to wait and by the time my appointment comes I don't feel like going.

I finally make one, keep it, and see this lady. It felt good. But it almost felt too good. Like that was my comfort zone. She wants to give me pills and I say no. So many in my bloodline escape with pills. My dad brags about not drinking but abuses the crap out of so many types of pills it's almost funny.

This takes me to nearly 2004-2005

cliff notes - pretty uneventful - I quit drinking but still get depressed.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:46 PM

I always wonder about this "no medication" attitude. Most mental illnesses are a chemical imbalance which a specific medication has a hugely better chance of alleviating than the self-medication [be it alcohol, narcotics, self-harm etc.] will do.

There's no shame in getting antibiotics for a bacterial infection, why should there be for getting medicine for any other kind of illness?

It's bizarre.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
I always wonder about this "no medication" attitude. Most mental illnesses are a chemical imbalance which a specific medication has a hugely better chance of alleviating than the self-medication [be it alcohol, narcotics, self-harm etc.] will do.

There's no shame in getting antibiotics for a bacterial infection, why should there be for getting medicine for any other kind of illness?

It's bizarre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it comes along with the idea that this class of drugs is over-prescribed. It is true that they are doled out in amounts far greater than even in the near-present, though one can argue that they were simply under-prescribed before. (I don't know enough about this to comment intelligently either way.)

I think some people get the feeling that they are either getting prescribed when they're not needed, or prescribed when things like therapy are available. And, I'm sure some people are just uncomfortable with the idea of changing the way they think with pills.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM

there's a sick irony that someone doesn't want to change the destructive way they think.

And i also agree that meds are sometimes used as a "substitute" for therapy, when in reality the best method employs both typically.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:25 AM

i've suffered from depression for 5 years now, but never attempted suicide. i personally didn't want to take anti-depressants at first because i saw it as masking real problems. now i realize that since mental illness runs in my family, a chemical imbalance is most likely one of the major causes of my depression and therefore anti-depressants are a smart choice for me.

a lot of times people are turned off to meds, too, because it's a lot of trial and error. it's hard to say whether a certain med will work for someone until it's tried. it can be very frustrating to search for a medicine that works.