Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Fourth Street Question

I'm mainly curious about fourth and fifth, but especially fourth. My board's not innocuous and I do have some semblance of a hand. Fifth is normally an autobet for me, but the combination of seat 1 and seat 3's boards made it possible that I was [censored] in both directions. I like betting, though. Betting's fun. Also, free cards.

As always, only reads are that everyone plays too many hands and goes too far with them.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (7.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (6.17 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (10.17 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River - (10.17 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (10.17 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $64 | Rake: $3
Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Fourth Street Question

It's hard to not bet 4th or 5th here. I might check 4th if I know I'm playing against a bunch of loose calling stations (I mean, two guys with a Ten calling a completion on 3rd...wow) because my hand will truly have to improve since there will very likely be a showdown.

5th is a must-bet just because you've got a massive draw although I'm pretty worried about Seat 3 at this point. It also gives the hangers-on a chance to decide they hate their hands and fold.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to not bet 4th or 5th here. I might check 4th if I know I'm playing against a bunch of loose calling stations (I mean, two guys with a Ten calling a completion on 3rd...wow) because my hand will truly have to improve since there will very likely be a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm more likely to bet here in a loose game than in a tight game. Reason being that in a loose game my bet might actually be for value, but in a tight game I'm probably going to fold out the hands that I'm ahead of and get played with by hands that have me in bad shape.

Of course, when you get right down to it, knocking out opponents is probably a good thing in this situation, which is another reason to bet. The pot is very large. People must be given a chance to fold.
[ QUOTE ]
5th is a must-bet just because you've got a massive draw although I'm pretty worried about Seat 3 at this point. It also gives the hangers-on a chance to decide they hate their hands and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, these were my thoughts.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm more likely to bet here in a loose game than in a tight game. Reason being that in a loose game my bet might actually be for value, but in a tight game I'm probably going to fold out the hands that I'm ahead of and get played with by hands that have me in bad shape.

Of course, when you get right down to it, knocking out opponents is probably a good thing in this situation, which is another reason to bet. The pot is very large. People must be given a chance to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I think whether to bet/check 4th is more a function of how much variance someone wants to tolerate. A tightass such as myself would prefer to check here if I *know* Seats 1 and 2 are going to call a bet. I still have to catch 2 cards to make a hand I feel confident showing down with.

Consider this scenario. It checks around on 4th, I catch great on 5th and now I bet. With the smaller pot, your opponents *should* be less likely to call. But now I'm more comfortable with them either calling or folding, i.e. it's a more solid spot for a semi-bluff.