Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Bad Moments in Great Films

[ QUOTE ]
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. The end scene the wife makes me cringe so much. Actually all of her scenes in that movie make me cringe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg, yeah.

Similarly, from Uncle Buck: The scene at the end where the mother and daughter are reunited, and there's a bad 80's synth-drum soundtrack, and there is now love and respect, because Uncle Buck came and taught everyone how to laugh--and love--again.

Pure vomitorium material.

But again, we have digressed, as the word "great" in the OP is getting further from applicable.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i like american psycho a lot, see many aspects from the movie in my live etc, what i hated though is the scene where patrick bateman is chasing the hooker in his appartment with a chainsaw and drop in on her and kill her. its just so out of touch with the rest of the movie

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean like when he shoots the cop cars with a 9mm and they explode like they were hit with a bazooka?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, now, this is interesting:

A couple of years ago, I was flamed a bit here for not being willing to consider the possibility that Patrick Bateman was not a serial murderer, and that it was all just satire. This was, of course, in a discussion of the book.

Now, watching the scene in question, when he fires the pistol and the car blows up, watch how he looks at the gun, as if it were insane that this had just happened.

This is a good argument for those folks who were saying that Bateman was merely fantasizing or hallucinating or being wielded as a tool by the author.

It's almost as though Ellis or the director was saying that the rest is at least comprehensible and/or believable, but for just a moment, they had gone just a little too far, and even the character himself noticed.

Seriously, watch the scene, and look at the way Bateman looks at the pistol after this happens.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Fight Club was awesome. It might be overrated but that is what happens to everything that is awesome. I agree the video camera scene was silly.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:01 AM

Rushmore,

I agree, but doesn't the book go even farther afield from reality? Early in the book, Bateman is lugging a body down the stairs of his apartment building and into a cab or something (it's been a while) and stops to have a conversation with someone who fails to notice it. He has a maid who never says anything about the human remains piled up in his apartment and nailed to the wall. There is a chapter which depicts Bateman as a raving lunatic lunging from one outrageous act to another through the streets (the chapter that starts and ends "...".) I don't think that there was ever much question that within the context of the book, he never actually performed most of the acts described.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory:

The scene when the mom is in the laundry room and sings Cheer Up Charlie. The whole plot is really good from beginning to end except that part. The worst thing about it is that you expect it to last for a minute, but it's almost 5 minutes long!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rushmore,

I agree, but doesn't the book go even farther afield from reality? Early in the book, Bateman is lugging a body down the stairs of his apartment building and into a cab or something (it's been a while) and stops to have a conversation with someone who fails to notice it. He has a maid who never says anything about the human remains piled up in his apartment and nailed to the wall. There is a chapter which depicts Bateman as a raving lunatic lunging from one outrageous act to another through the streets (the chapter that starts and ends "...".) I don't think that there was ever much question that within the context of the book, he never actually performed most of the acts described.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you're saying, and have certainly tried to digest this, but...

I just still imagine I would lower the book a notch in my estimation if it were to be revealed that NONE of the mayhem had actually occurred.

In other words, I think it is less credible from an artistic standpoint if it's ALL just imaginary, rather than the opposite, because it's actually harder to reconcile much of the material in this light.

Of course, after Glamorama, the all-imaginary argument becomes more believable from Ellis.

Anyway, possibly one of the marks of a form of great art, the ambiguity and interpretive flexibility, I don't know.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You suck at liking movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to expand on this theme.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Other people's reactions make absolutely no sense on rewatching if there's just one person. They have conversations with each other in the same room as other people. Was the Narrator saying both sides or just one?

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the intro scene for Gonzo & his chicken bitch in The Muppet Movie (1979):

This movie was a classic, and Gonzo's "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" ruled the soundtrack. Unfortunately, his character was bland and contributed little from what I remember...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, I get it now. Gonzo was the bird who couldn't fly, and that's why he married that old hen. I remember the hot air balloon ride and his plight to become airborne, but that's about it. Nevermind Gonzo downer. This movie ruled.

Agree w/ Wonka & Chocolate Factory, too. Gene Wilder was terrific. I remember the bedridden scenes amused me as a kid, but I find them more disturbing now...
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Other people's reactions make absolutely no sense on rewatching if there's just one person. They have conversations with each other in the same room as other people. Was the Narrator saying both sides or just one? [ QUOTE ]

who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People with half a brain