Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: 33$ KK on a dry board

[ QUOTE ]
Also make it 140 pre, and on this flop 420.

[/ QUOTE ]

His preflop bet is perfectly fine.

His flop bet is excellent. He's either way ahead on the flop or way behind. His flop bet is big enough to either take the pot if his opponents have nothing, or push a good turn card if he's called.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CO doesn't need a very strong hand to come over the top if he thinks you're weak enough to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

CO sees hero raise preflop, then make a fairly substantial bet on the flop into 3 opponents on a dry board, he still has 2 opponents to act behind him, and he doesn't need a strong hand to come over the top?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 AM

I don't play at this level, so maybe my bet-sizing is way off - it seems weakish to me here.

And by "not much of a hand" I mean TPTK, not 44 or summat. I'd call CO in a heartbeat - it's the BB instacall I'd want a read on.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:08 AM

Well I don't play at this level either so maybe I'm a bet sizing tard. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But here are my thoughts...

I don't see any flop bet of close to 2/3 the size of the pot into multiple opponents as looking weak. Unless I know the villain is an agro donk, I'm going to assume he's actually very strong. And I'm not sure how betting more on this flop and then facing the same action does anything except make folding harder.

Generally I bet 1/2 pot on a dry flop heads up and 2/3 pot on a dry flop against multiple opponents. Sometimes I would bet more on the flop on a dry board if that builds the pot enough to shove the turn when a smaller bet wouldn't. In this case though if his flop bet just gets called the pot is big enough to jam the turn.

Coordinated flops I bet totally different.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 AM

His flop bet size is fine. You bet more to price out draws, which don't exist and to build a pot which is also irrelvant since any bet over like 270 sets up a turn shove in a hu pot.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:48 AM

I tend to start with potsize and find reasons to make it smaller. Most of my opponents call off far too much with crap and slow play their monsters, so they come over the top of strong bets with mediocre hands a lot. I pretty much never bet less than 70% pot on the flop. I know I'd have to get a bit more subtle at higher levels. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway - the point was that CO doesn't necessarily view this bet as strength - but I might be totally misreading that because the betsizing is so whack at the stakes I play.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BB check/calls AI - this is so strong. I think someone has AA or a set most of the time. I'm folding.

What did those guys have?

[/ QUOTE ]

they both had AQ