Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Pretending to Believe

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, but if "God" thinks blue is prettier than red, then blue is absolutely and objectively prettier than red. Do you see how silly objective morality is?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I explained elsewhere in this thread, if there is an omnipotent god, it is possible (but not necessary) that it could determine objectively prettier colors (and morals). If there is such a god, it is a sure bet that we don't understand what it is capable of doing.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We've told you the side effects. But if lying doesn't bother you in the slightest, then so be it. What were you expecting us to say, that it causes impotence, too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't expect much. But with all the very intelligent and articulate posters on this particular forum, I figured it couldn't hurt to see if someone smarter than me would think of something I hadn't.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We've told you the side effects. But if lying doesn't bother you in the slightest, then so be it. What were you expecting us to say, that it causes impotence, too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't expect much. But with all the very intelligent and articulate posters on this particular forum, I figured it couldn't hurt to see if someone smarter than me would think of something I hadn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they all did, but you are ignoring it.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think they all did, but you are ignoring it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What?

[/ QUOTE ] Everything can not be measured in power and dollars. And in this case the power and dollar rewards are really loosely connected with your undertaking. You should also lie if you have any other unpopular ideas, if you have a black great grandfather you should try to cover that up as best you can, same if you have a homosexual brother. If any other members of your family have anything controversial they want to say, you should do your best to shut them up. If you have a too rich or too poor sounding name, you should change it as soon as possible, both first and last name. Same if it is jewish sounding. and so on and so on.

All this makes me feel a little sick, but if you are fine with it then more power to you, quite literally [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

at the end of the day, you can't persuade anyone else that what you did was morally right or that what they did was morally wrong unless they agree with your personal preferences. Once you realize that fact (and that your own personal preferences are malleable), you are free to change your personal preferences as you see fit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this to imply we cannot respect each others' moralities? Because if we can, we should be able to leave god out of it, and we don't have to agree EXACTLY with each other on small personal preferences. I guess I still don't see why:

[ QUOTE ]

Not without god. You can't justify "human solidarity" (or anything else for that matter) as an end worth achieving without god.

[/ QUOTE ]
... unless we're talking about the most extremely pedantic peoples.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:54 PM

One reason atheists shouldn't patronize believers is because it creates an environment where you can get 3 republican presidential candidates who don't believe in evolution! That's an appalling (and potentially dangerous), state of affairs if you ask me.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

4: there is an objective morality, and that is rooted in human solidarity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not without god. You can't justify "human solidarity" (or anything else for that matter) as an end worth achieving without god. Sklansky has hammered this point home to death on this board, so I won't fill in all the details.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does God make this moral stance more justifiable? Not only do I disagree with Sklansky, I think that it's already been done. the United States is probably the freest society thats ever existed (really). Where is God mentioned in the founding document (the Constitution)?