Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Americans are so silly they must be insane.

[ QUOTE ]
I love George Carlin.

[ QUOTE ]
so why isnt your goal to become elite instead of whining and bitching about it?

[/ QUOTE ] Well, first its nearly impossible to get into. Secondly, even if you think you are in it, chances are you're not. Third, why would you want to be a part of something that forces billions of people to be loyal subjects to their kingdom?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, can we get a source for this George Carlin qoute? It sounds terribly unlike him, and more like someone pretending to be him on the internet. I could be wrong, it's definitly possible, but I'd like to know where it came from if it is really him.

Secondly, my old man came from a family that lived on a farm in Greece. An immigrant to this country, he is now a very highly respected doctor, and has written, if not the book, several chapters on high blood pressure, etc. Anyone can become wealthy, and part of that top 10%, if an immigrant farmer from Greece can do it. The trouble is, most people just want things handed to them, and don't want to work for it.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM

I really don't have beef with the top 10%. I take exception to the top 1%, which are the ones who basically do whatever they want.

secondly, I think its from his book Napalm and Silly Putty, but I may be wrong.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't have beef with the top 10%. I take exception to the top 1%, which are the ones who basically do whatever they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

The top 1% of income earners don't really earn that much when you're talking about the true elite. Second (and more important) high income =/= wealthy.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on a site with a bunch of 20 something year olds who have more money than they should, that is kind of laughable

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] are you telling people how much money they should have?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, can we get a source for this George Carlin qoute? It sounds terribly unlike him, and more like someone pretending to be him on the internet. I could be wrong, it's definitly possible, but I'd like to know where it came from if it is really him.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=7
Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it on youtube
Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=7

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"why dont you strive to be rich and powerful if this bothers you?"

Some of us don't want to be rich and powerful. We just want to be left the hell alone and have a fair chance to make our own way without walking down a wind tunnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you want the people that have already gained the power and money to make it easier for you by giving what they have away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter to you how they gained it?

[ QUOTE ]
If you think less taxes for the rich is wrong, than become rich and powerful and try to get them changed, dont bitch about it, and feel that you are entitled to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[X] "if you don't like our gang, join us"
[X] blame the victim
[X] flip the burden of proof

If someone came up to you, hit you in the head with a shovel, and took your ball, would you bitch about it? You're not entitled to a ball, or a head free from shovel-smacking AMIRITE?

[ QUOTE ]
and seriously, walking down a wind tunnel? on a site with a bunch of 20 something year olds who have more money than they should, that is kind of laughable

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money should these people have, exactly?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM

There are too many posters in politics that come in here and spew their half-thought drivel without any facts or sources to cite, then get pissed when no one agrees with them.

Try thinking for yourself instead of buying into this counter-culture garbage, OP.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
vote Ron Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a Ron Paul of sorts in Carter. The press crucified him. Carter believed in Zero Based Budgeting" if you ain't got the dollar, you can't spend the dollar.

Carter set a record for the most vetos by a Prez in 4 years.

90% of the media is owned by 5 corporations. They will determine who gets the white house.....because the masses are sheep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things. First of all, I think on a few things, President Carter and Ron Paul may have been similar. But in their basic philosophy towards government, it was really different. Plus Ron Paul's optimism for the individual (and Reagan's too), that we can achieve great things, rather than Carter's horrible "malaise speech". I can't believe he told the country that we basically have to get used to a lower standard of living, cause our country is going down hill.

Secondly, I really doubt that there's a lot of big industries that don't have a similar "90% of the media is controlled by 5 corporations".

Isn't like 90% of all online poker traffic in like 5 companies? Aren't 90% of all cars sold by like 5 companies? 90% of all computers are sold by like 5 companies? 90% of all the soda sold by 5 companies? I'm sure it's not exactly 90% and 5 companies, for every industry, but I'd guess it's close.